Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unable to latch and feed 8 day old baby.

Default Re: Unable to latch and feed 8 day old baby.

apifera, I do not usually share my personal story with moms who are having a hard time, because I don't ever want to sound like "Well I did it, so can you." Every mother and baby is different. But since you asked, I will tell my story. I hope it helps.

My oldest baby was born 10 years ago this summer after a traumatic labor and c-section. We were separated for 4 hours after his birth, and by the time we left the hospital he was totally refusing one breast and, when he did nurse on the other side, it was excruciatingly painful. The nurses at rteh hospital were kind but did not have the training to help. There were some concerns about weight gain, and when I asked for help with breastfeeding at his doctors appointment a day after being discharged his pediatrician told me “you won’t get a medal for breastfeeding.”

when my oldest baby was about 10 days old, your baby's age, he could nurse-but I remember distinctly sitting on my bed sobbing. I cried so loud I scared baby and HE started to howl. Oh I felt so horrible! - He would take 45 minutes to latch, 45 minutes to nurse, and then I had to pump. And I was supposed to do this every two hours! My nipples were cracked and bleeding. I was using a nipple shield because that helped him to latch, but oh how I hated that thing.

When my baby was two weeks old my husband went back to work at his new, very demanding job. We had moved across country so he could take that job, so I had no family or friends within 1000 miles. It was just me and baby struggling all day long.

I saw two different IBCLC's. The second one, I saw twice. Each session was about 90 minutes. They were both very good IBCLCs but we were a tricky case!

Somehow we kept working at it. Latch came easier. Nursing sessions slowly got slightly faster. After about 6 weeks I was able to stop pumping which I was doing after every nursing session because at the time that was the recommendation when using nipple shields. Finally, after about 8 weeks, I was able to nurse baby without the shield. He was a very fussy baby for many months, who needed lots of time being held and walked and comforted, and I was a new mom with zero baby experience who worried all the time about everything, but slowly slowly the breastfeeding part of it got less difficult.

I went on to nurse him for years. Nursing became not only not a horrendous chore, which it certainly was in those early weeks, but a joy. And as an LLL Leader, I have talked to many many many moms with really rough experiences in the early days who went on to nurse happily. Of course I have also talked to moms who were ultimately not able to nurse or who thought it was better in their case to stop trying to nurse.

sorry havent been able to get a free hand to reply.

meg: thank you so much for sharing your story. it is encouraging.

I realize i sounded rather petulant yesterday. my husband worked from 8 am til 9 pm and i had insisted he sleep the night before so i was on 1 hour of sleep.
    i guess it all comes down to getting baby to latch and the LC im stll in touch with thinks it wont happen till hes bigger.

will try to reply later

don't worry about sounding petulant! we are just trying to get you the support you need, and you are clearly exhausted (understandably so).

again - baby IS latching! so you can work with that.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

good news! I found an IBCLC and made an apt for tomorrow. in the meantime she thinks he has a weak suck so we are to do "suck training" with bottle and paci..

and after one try i can see it is very weak so there is hope!

I feel bad you are feeling so frustrated, Trust me I know that feeling. When breastfeeding is a struggle it just seems so unfair! I hope seeing the IBCLC helps and you can get some sleep tonight!

hang in there!!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Just an update from our visit today:

The LC we saw was nothing short of amazing. She was really sensitive to the situation and was able to figure out fairly quickly that there are several issues going on. So she gave us exercises to help him to develop his suck, keep his tongue down and work on the nipple confusion issue, as well as some massage because he is a very tense baby! Which she said is probably due to the intense and rapid nature of delivery. I'm also looking into seeing a chiro who can massage him professionally. We also bought a Medela Calma bottle because he has been choking on even the "slowest" flow nipples that we can find... poor guy, feeding stresses him out!

But the best news is that with the aid of a shield he latched and fed. He only got about a quarter of an ounce, but it's something. So we bought some shields and tried again when we got home, but he went to sleep. That's okay, he didn't scream!

The only slightly worrying news is that he is only gaining half an ounce a day, so we need to see if we can weigh him in at the ped on Friday. He will easily eat 3 ozs a sitting so I am not entirely sure why he is not gaining an ounce a day like he should be...

So happy the ibclc consult was so helpful! yay!

When you say weight gain is 1/2 ounce per day...Between which two weight checks was this the average gain? or is this lifetime gain, or what?

1 ounce per day gain is an average. Some babies gain less and it is entirely healthy and normal. Some sources suggest that gain of 5-8 ounces per week is good, others say as low as 1/2 ounce a day is enough. There is some controvercy about what is and is not ok gain even among lactation consultants. In other words, an ounce a day gain is not some clearcut absolute.

Also weight gain rate will vary day to day and even week to week. And weight checks on different scales may not tell the correct story.

So try not to worry too much about that, I suggest discuss your concerns with the ped and your ibclc.

hooray! great news. keep us posted.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Meg: Since last monday, so it is the gain from the 24th until July 3rd.