Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unable to latch and feed 8 day old baby.

Default Re: Unable to latch and feed 8 day old baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post

At this point, I would say, do what works. If a pacifier is helping baby latch, great. But we do know that pacifier use as a PACIFIER (not a suck training aid) in general can be harmful when trying to get breastfeeding established. BREASTFEEDING is a much more effective SIDS preventative than pacifier use! Pacifier use in and of itself is NOT a SIDS preventative. This is a misunderstanding of the research. What the studies showed with pacifiers and SIDS is that with baby’s who were routinely using pacifiers for sleep, if the pacifier use stopped, they were at a higher risk of SIDS.
    Could one interpret this as just simply: Babies need to suck? Because if removing a pacifier and not having extended breastfeeding sessions, baby is left with very short bottle feeding sessions and nothing more. Which makes me wonder if I should remove it from him for night time or let him have it for going to sleep still, and just not offer it during the day. Because he has a habit of sucking his tongue, and putting it in the roof of his mouth. We even observed him doing it during a biophysical ultrasound for something like 45 minutes shortly before he was born. So in part, the pacifier was allowed to stay because they said it would train him to keep his tongue down while sucking. And honestly it does seem to help.

Over the last hour he has latched on after only short bursts of fussing, with the crosshold, on the right, and this last time when he fell asleep and pulled off I very clearly saw milk in his mouth. It's quite encouraging that he's not only on there for comfort, but getting something as well. Now I am concerned about figuring out when to offer it and when it would be too overwhelming, because he doesn't do a lot of the classical signs that he's hungry. Which I suppose is why we've been overfeeding him.

What about night time? Should I wake him up to eat or let him sleep for a few hours? I'm really suffering for sleep...

Also, thanks so much for your help. It's made a difference already. I am not sure if my consultant is an IBCLC.. I'll have to ask her. She's actually a nurse from my OB. I had a high risk pregnancy and she has been a life saver, but she's not able to see me very often due to her other duties.

Please see my edit on last post. I should not have used the term "SIDS preventative" what I meant was reduces SIDS risk.

Expert minds who have studies SIDS issue for years have little agreement on this. There is still much to learn about babies, sleep, and SIDS. But no, I would NOT simply interpret the research as only, babies need to suck, althoug I do think that is part of it. Yes, babies DO need to suck, of course. They need to suck pretty much all the time at this age. That is normal. But as far as SIDS goes, “back to sleep” was very effective in SIDS prevention and has nothing to do with sucking. I am more of the thought that SIDS risk up or down has more to do with a things that help or harm an infant’s normal sleep/wake cycles. Breastfeeding and close proximity to mom during sleep helps baby have normal, light infant sleep with more frequent waking. This is why the AAP also says babies should sleep in same room as mom for first year at least.

Please do what you think is best in terms of pacifier use. But do remember a pacifier is a breast alternative and the typical advice for early weeks in particular is to have ALL babies sucking needs met at the breast. (assuming baby will latch and nurse.)

Over the last hour he has latched on after only short bursts of fussing, with the crosshold, on the right, and this last time when he fell asleep and pulled off I very clearly saw milk in his mouth. It's quite encouraging that he's not only on there for comfort, but getting something as well. Now I am concerned about figuring out when to offer it and when it would be too overwhelming, because he doesn't do a lot of the classical signs that he's hungry. Which I suppose is why we've been overfeeding him.
    You are doing so great! This is real progess! There is never any harm in offering to nurse. A typical baby this age needs to nurse at least 10-12 times a day. So, offer that much if you like. It is fine to offer. Just don't pressure-yourself or baby!

I have to go offline in a few minutes for at least the rest of the day. (You can still call me if need be!) So here are several articles that elaborate on what we have talked about, read whatever you like.

PS I know you are very tired. Remember you can take a sleep break. Keep it down to once a day, but you taking one 4 hour sleep break or so, from pumping and nursing, is not going to really harm anything at this point while baby is still getting bottles anyway. Also remember it gets a bazillon times easier when baby is latching and nursing regularly as then you can stop pumping and bottles. Then it gets normal, and you will only be as tired as any othe mom with a newborn! For each reasonably good nursing session at the breast, you can eliminate a pump session and a bottle.

What is normal in the early weeks with a breastfed baby http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Help-my baby won’t nurse! http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Nipple shields http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/

Tips with pictures on latch and different positioning ideas (includes side lying) http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

Laid back position http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

Laid back video http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Here are two simple pictorials, you want the one on latch. Notice that the mother is in a “slightly” laid back position, looks like on a couch? This is a very “adjustable” position, play around to find how you and your baby are most comfortable. http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html

latch and 'Breast sandwich' article http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvfebmar04p3.html (probably only needed if baby cannot latch or latch is hurting mom)

Feeding cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf

Diaper log (for tracking poops) http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

Waking a sleepy newborn: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf

Thanks so much. I will be looking at those links in detail!

I do feel like all I've done for the last eight days was pump, feed, wash pump parts, snuggle the baby and try to get him to latch, rinse repeat. I've slept at max an hour at a time. I think perhaps I'm a bit overwhelmed because I went into labor early and in a funny way- I was due to be induced the next day but I started having contractions and was told I was a 4, maybe 5 degrees dilated... possibly not going to be admitted because it was "early labor" but I insisted I was in enough pain that I needed to be admitted and they listened to me... in the time it took to walk me to the room they had for me, I dilated to a 10. No time to get an epidural, no time to put monitors on for the baby, not even for an IV... I barely got in the bed and suddenly I was being told to push. I don't think my mind has caught up! I was headed for a predictable, scheduled delivery and suddenly I had a baby!

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for the links, and I will definitely keep in contact if that's okay. I also put in a request on the web forum for a local LLL leader, because I feel shy about just calling people out of the blue. Especially on a Sunday. I'm in NC.

I understand about feeling odd calling strangers out of the blue I felt exactly the same way when I had terrible issues wiht my oldest. But just fyi that is what LLL Leaders do. We really enjoy talking to moms about their babies and breastfeeding, so much so that we have taken a lot of trouble to learn what we need to know so we can volunteer as LLL Leaders-We are just weird that way! Taking help calls is the main responsibility of LLL Leaders, that and Leading LLL meetings.

We expect calls anytime. Personally I often prefer weekend calls as then my husband might be home to wrangle my noisy kids. If we cannot talk right when a mom calls, we will arrange to call a mom back.

Both my sisters live in NC.

apifera, just want to say - you are doing a fantastic job!!! i know that you are going to get this to work.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I had a similar problem and in the end I caved a bought a medela nipple shield and immediately everything worked. Although nipple shields are frowned upon, I think it prevented me from quitting bf.

Thanks for the encouragement!

One of the consultants I saw gave me a shield. It is very long and I think it freaks him out. He gags when I use it and once got a very frantic cry afterwards. I think that if it was shorter it would probably be just the thing, but as it is it doesn't really work for us. So far, only getting him to my right breast at just the right time does... we tried to latch to the left today again and it was too flacid or something. He didn't even register it as something to suck on I think. And the problem with that is my right always puts out way less than my left! I get one ounce from the right when I pump, sometimes I get more than 2 on the left one in one sitting...

It's normal for there to be differences in output between breasts. Humans aren't totally symmetrical, after all! If differences in supply between breasts is causing a problem with lopsidedness, then you simply nurse/pump the underperforming breast more often, until its output more closely matches that of the overachiever.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal: So perhaps I could add an extra pump just on the right in between double pumping and this would help? I didn't think of that, thanks!

I am having a bit of trouble with scheduling. I have been told to always put baby to breast first, but that is difficult, as it gets him worked up and upset and then it is hard to lay him in his pack and play while I pump. This results in late pumping, which we know isn't good. So I have been bottle feeding him pre-pumped milk, then trying to latch (not every time though as I was warned against pushing him to latch too often), getting him changed, warm, then laying him down next t ome while I pump. Which isn't always successful as he will fuss till I pick him back up. So far when he does latch (the what, five times since leaving the hospital) he doesn't end up getting anything because I've either just pumped or just fed him. I've tried to get to him before he gets hungry but this is problematic because he is hungry at such random times, and I'm constantly trying to predict when he'll be ready to eat again...

He sleeps with me, and I don't put him down much during the day. I did the same with my daughter- who slept with me until she was nearly four. It's just what feels natural. But the result is I don't have free hands very often. And we just moved back to the US from Europe and are cash poor- otherwise I'd invest in a Moby wrap or something. I imagine that would help.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 1st, 2013 at 06:33 AM.