Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very worried. 8 week old

Question Very worried. 8 week old

Hello this is my 1st time posting. I hope someone will be able to provide some guidance. I had a great supply from the beginning and my LO has been gaining well. She has only taken one side per feed and feeds every 2 hours in the day will sleep for 4-5 hours at night start cycle again. The problem is sun e a few days now she only feeds for 4 to 5 minutes max. She makes a clicking noise when she eats and her latch is very weak. My nipple can easily slip out. I fear she is and has only received the letdown and now as my supply is regulating i feel like she is not able to get more milk. For now she seems content after eating but if she doesn't empty my breast won't my supply diminish? Also during the day she naps 45 minutes max at a time unless in a carrier. Is this because she is hungry because she is not eating enough? I am so confused. She poops 3 times at least a day and her diapers seem wet when i change her. i also fear she may have lip tie because of weak latch. Do we have a potential problem? There are no lll in my area and i've tried to see Ibclcs but they refuse to give me an appointment. I think they want me to have a supply issue before they help instead of preventing a problem from occurring. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

Default Re: Very worried. 8 week old

Welcome to the forum!

What you describe- taking only one side per feeding, feeding rapidly, and clicking- sounds like it could be an oversupply/fast letdown issue. The first thing to try is to recline while feeding the baby- reclined nursing positions use gravity to slow milk flow to the baby, and that can reduce baby's need to click.

Don't worry about the baby not emptying the breast. As long as her diaper output and growth remains normal and she is being fed on demand, she's getting enough even if she doesn't empty the breast or if she feeds really quickly. If your supply dips too low and she needs more, she'll nurse more often, and/or she'll take both sides, and your supply will go up.

The weak latch is not necessarily a problem. A pain-free latch is generally a good latch! And if the baby needs to develop a better, more forceful latch in order to nurse, she'll learn to use one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I can't offer any advice on the latch issue, but know that a 45-minute nap is totally normal. In fact, for some babies that is really good! One of my babies will rarely sleep longer than 30 minutes at a time during the day and she is very healthy. If your baby will sleep even longer in a carrier, then that's fantastic! (Though tiring, I know).

Thank you both very much for your replies. I will take all advice into account. I went to see a mid-wife who apparently deals with breastfeeding issues. I was disappointed to say the least. All I took away from that meeting was that she said my baby should be SSTN and not eating as often as every 2-2.5 hours per day as she does. I was shocked as I am trying to nurse on demand and my daughter is already sleeping one 5-6 hour stretch in the night. Thankfully I am vacationing in a city with great breastfeeding support in 2 weeks so hopefully I can get DD mouth assessed over there if a problem exists. Now Just have to figure how to get her to bed a bit earlier than 11!

Wow, what craziness from the midwife! There's no "should" when it comes to feeding intervals and sleeping through the night. Some babies feed every 3 hours like clockwork, others feed every 60-90 minutes- and both types of babies are normal as long as their weight gain and development is on track! And for the record, a 5-6 hour sleep stretch counts as STTN!

Hope you get better advice when you're on vacation.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ibclcs but they refuse to give me an appointment. I think they want me to have a supply issue before they help instead of preventing a problem from occurring. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.
    They refuse to give you an appointment? How odd. The IBCLC's refuse, your insurer, what? Is this a situation where you would pay for the appt or someone else?

I am so glad you knew not to take the terrible advice to limit your baby's nursing frequency, or that your baby "should" be sleeping a longer stretch. Ugh! where do people get these ideas?

Anyway, I agree with pp. It is normal for nursing session length to vary and change. As long as your baby continues to nurse with good frequency your supply should be fine even if each session is shorter than before. As mommal says, normal nursing with a good latch is painless and feels like gentle tugging even when a baby is nursing vigorously. If baby is slipping off, you can try a laid back position where baby is more on top. Lip tie is pretty visible, and it would have been a problem from the start most likely. But by all means, if you continue to be concerned see an IBCLC when you can.

Now Just have to figure how to get her to bed a bit earlier than 11!
    babies this age seldom have a regular bedtime, or a bedtime that coincides with when children are usually put to bed. Since your baby is sleeping 4-5 hours at a stretch, which is entirely normal and healthy, If you put baby to bed at 9PM, then baby will be 'up' for more nursing at 1 or 2 instead of 3 or 4. So I suggest, don't worry about that yet. It will come!

Are you able to get the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding? (8th edition?) It’s like having a LLL Leader in a book!