Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy at breast . . . but only in the evening

Default Fussy at breast . . . but only in the evening

For the past 3 evenings, my 11w old son has been fussy at the breast. After the initial let-down and feeding for 5-10 min he starts pulling off and crying. He does fine during the day and in the middle of the night. But, feedings after 5pm up until he goesto bed at 9:30 are very frustrating for both of us . I do think I may have OALD because ds does choke while feeding sometimes and I seem to leak constantly. But, I don' think the evening fussyness is caused by OALD because he seems to feed for awhile & then get fussy. If anything he seems frustrated that the milk is no longer coming so easily. Has anyone else had this experience? Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Default Re: Fussy at breast . . . but only in the evening

Yes, I hear ya mine did the same thing for awhile around that age with the same motto, I just figured it was his age and fusiness is common, Some nights I would just hand him to my dh til he calmed a bit then offered him breast again if he seem to want it. I guess I don't have any real good suggestions but just knowing you aren't alone helps some times , and the OALD thing is something I wondered too since I leaked all the time and still do at 7 mo. Hopefully some one else can comment but hang in there this too shall pass, I promise!

My daughter does this sometimes, and yes, only in the evenings...I read somewhere that some babies get lazy at certain mealtimes, and get frustrated after the initial letdown ends and they have to actually work at continuing the flow. The recommendation in the article was to burp the baby and switch to the other side so they can enjoy the easy let-down flow a second time. I do this with Ruby and what happens is that the second let-down satisfies her enough that she will finish calmly on that breast until empty, and then I will return her to the first side for additional hindmilk if she is still hungry. Seems to work well...give it a try! HTH

Quote Originally Posted by MomO4 View Post
    Yes, I hear ya mine did the same thing for awhile around that age with the same motto, I just figured it was his age and fusiness is common, Some nights I would just hand him to my dh til he calmed a bit then offered him breast again if he seem to want it. I guess I don't have any real good suggestions but just knowing you aren't alone helps some times , and the OALD thing is something I wondered too since I leaked all the time and still do at 7 mo. Hopefully some one else can comment but hang in there this too shall pass, I promise!
    I swear I read somewhere that the leaking is supposed to stop around 8 weeks. No such luck, huh??? Ha Ha

Thanks for the response. It does help to know that I am not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by rubysma View Post
    My daughter does this sometimes, and yes, only in the evenings...I read somewhere that some babies get lazy at certain mealtimes, and get frustrated after the initial letdown ends and they have to actually work at continuing the flow. The recommendation in the article was to burp the baby and switch to the other side so they can enjoy the easy let-down flow a second time. I do this with Ruby and what happens is that the second let-down satisfies her enough that she will finish calmly on that breast until empty, and then I will return her to the first side for additional hindmilk if she is still hungry. Seems to work well...give it a try! HTH
    Essentially that is what I do. I walk him around the house for a while and then he will feed calmly for a while. I have to do this several times until he eventually falls asleep for the night. He must just be worn out from the day because he doesn't nap very much. Thanks for the suggestion!!!