Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night nursing

Default Night nursing

I'm nursing my 19 mo DD3 and unlike with my other two, I'm in no rush to night wean as she is my last baby BUT...she is still waking up to nurse at least 3 times a night and up for the day at 5am. I don't want to do any sleep training but I need to know from others, who let them self night wean, when should I expect, in average, to STTN. FYI, we co-sleep (she starts the night in her own bed and walks to our room at around 10pm)
    TIA!

Default Re: Night nursing

dunno. my 19 month old was nursing about every hour all night (teething). in retrospect, the worst week, i was also concieving. that's when i started limiting night-nursing dramatically, and that dramatically improved the sleep we were both getting (co-sleeping). he's now 24 months and working on his 2nd molars but still sleeping much better. not really an answer to your question but another data point!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I waited for self-night weaning and by three she still hadn't done it and I was BURNED out and resentful. So I used Dr Gordon's method. It actually worked fine but was harder than it had been with my son when he was 16 months. She was much more vocal and angry. Good luck in however you decide to proceed!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

my son is now about two and 1/2. he has very recently (this past two months) had some really great stretches here and there of sleeping what i would consider through the night. but thats not the norm. most of the time he wakes up 2 times. its gradually getting better.

it has gotten better for me from letting go. i have also become more verbal about limiting the night sessions. like ill let him nurse a few min and then i say "all done" a few times and usually he rolls over and goes back to sleep. sometimes he gets upset and i let it go and nurse longer and fall asleep while hes nursing. but overall i feel like lately we have made some serious improvements and no more marathon nursing.

and some nights are still rough, but i feel like its all going in a good direction, meaning i feel well rested

good luck!

Thanks a lot for your replies!

@ danlynclark
    , I used this method with DD1 and DD2 at 18 mo but that was because I was either PG or TTC, now I'm not only not going to TTC but also don't want to rush my last baby to wean and she's not a strong nurser during the day, she nurses before and after nap only so I know once she stops napping, she won't be nursing a lot during the day.

@ mtmama, I tell her "last one" and she is sometimes ok and rolls over to her side but usually she gets too intense and doesn't want to stop, I put her on her side of the bed and she cries a little, then she either falls asleep or I have to bring her back to the breast so she won't wake the other two up

Last night she woke up 5 times, I don't think I got more than 2 hours of sleep in a row. I really LOVE night nursing and don't want to night wean (twice a night would be nice :P) but wanted to know if it is going to get better on its own or if I will have to set limits. I also didn't get AF yet and I'm in no hurry to get it anytime soon, so I'm using that as a reward for keeping the night nursing LOL

Thanks again for your replies!

No advice, but I'm in exactly the same boat of frequent night nursing with with DS20mo. We're visiting the in-laws for Canada Day weekend and DS and I are cosleeping and nursing in a twin bed. Eek!

Just a warning, night weaning does not necessarily negate night waking. We night weaned DS1 at around 20 months (Jay Gordon method, I was pregnant, and he was up every. two. hours. to nurse ). At almost three, he still wakes up every. two. hours. even though he's no longer nursing. So night weaning won't necessarily mean your DD starts sttn. I'm told that he'll eventually sleep through the night, but I'm wondering if he'll be a teenager by then!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss