Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 month old wants to nurse ALL. THE. TIME.

Question 13 month old wants to nurse ALL. THE. TIME.

Hey moms, I was hoping to get a little encouragement and reassurance. My son turned 13 months on the 12th. He was exclusively breastfed since birth and now eats several meals a day plus snacks. He really cut back on nursing around 11 months. But it seems like in the past 2 weeks he has really come back full force. He definitely nurses almost every, if not every, hour for varying amounts of time. He nurses to sleep for naps & bedtime and wakes to nurse through the night. I work on weekends, literally the entire weekend through while he stays with his dad. His dad says he won't drink expressed milk from his cup (probably for the same reason he always rejected bm in a bottle the couple times I tried) and doesn't seem to miss it, is in good spirits. He said he becomes more moody & clingy with me & commented on how much he wants to nurse. Me working is new (started 2 months ago) and I'm afraid he isn't taking it well emotionally & is getting attachment problems. Or maybe it's perfectly normal for this age. Hoping someone has had a similar experience & can share with me. I don't mind him nursing all the time, I'm just afraid it might be a sign of an underlying issue.
    Single mother of one boy.
    Exclusive breastfeeding for 1 year & going strong!
    Advocate for extended breastfeeding & gentle parenting.
    Nutrition major.

Default Re: 13 month old wants to nurse ALL. THE. TIME.

Normal! A typical pattern is for older infants to be very distractible and not that interested in nursing, then to "nurse like newborns" as young toddlers. My LO is 15 months old, I work, and when we're together (evenings, weekends) she's constantly on and off the breast.

Great, thank you! That makes me feel so much better.
    Single mother of one boy.
    Exclusive breastfeeding for 1 year & going strong!
    Advocate for extended breastfeeding & gentle parenting.
    Nutrition major.

Hello! It's also very normal for babes at that age to become clingier and get separation anxiety. They're gaining independence quickly (cognitive awareness is growing by leaps and bounds, and they're gaining mobility and the freedom to roam a bit - all a bit overwhelming!) and really need the reassurance from mom that the world is safe and that you'll still be there whenever they need you.

Edit: that's all to say that you shouldn't worry too much about him getting "attachment problems". It truly sounds like he's just right on schedule for all those changes.
    Last edited by @llli*ohsmomma; June 27th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Mama to
    O - 7/10/08
    and
    J - 6/25/12