Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping before nursing?

Angry Pumping before nursing?

Hello!

I am a new mom of a two month old. I believe I have oversupply and a forceful letdown. I have found several tricks to help my babe nurse. (Pumping out an ounce before feeding, only feeding on one breast each time, reclining back and keeping baby on top, stoping her to burp).luckily, She never has refused nursing but has gone through phases of projectile vomiting, excessive gas and burping and green stools. From my research, I believe I make too much fore milk so baby can't get to the fattier milk. It was suggested by a lactation consultant that I pump some milk out before I nurse. I started removing an ounce and it made a dramatic difference for my girl. However I have two issues with this. First I have read that this is signaling breasts to make more milk and is not a great solution to the problem- Im worried that by continuing this practice my boobs will never regulate to her needs. Also, I'm SICK of pumping 8+ times a day and cleaning pump stuff. So yesterday, I tried removing just a half ounce at each feeding. Baby was super spitty and then very gassy last night. Green stool this am. Apparently she is still very sensitive to this. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if anyone has ideas about a better solution and how I could switch from the pumping to a new plan without causing her a lot of discomfort?

Default Re: Pumping before nursing?

i think you're right about everything above - pumping is contributing to the oversupply, which can be a beast to get rid of. spitting, gas & green stools are only a problem if baby is unhappy or not gaining weight. but the pumping can't be fun. i would try pumping a bit less each time, gradually. hand-expression might be less stimulating than the pump, too. have you tried any kind of block feeding? http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks for your reply! I do only use one side per feeding but have been considering using one side for more than one feeding. It sounds like that is what works for most people. However, I'm torn if I should continue the pumping before the first feed on a new side. I thought I'd be able to wean her off by pumping less but that went so horribly bad. I'm maybe thinking if I do more block feeding it would counter balance not pumping. Thoughts?

i think it's really a lot of two steps forward, lne step back with oversupply, and can take months to overcome. i have a friend who, at 8 or 9 months, was still not able to pump even 1 bottle or her os would flare back up with a vengeance. that's partly why i suggested ditching the pumping in favor of hand expressing. you might also try some milk-drying things, like cabbage leaves or peppermint? but be very cautious as those things WORK and at 2 months your supply isn't regulated down yet and you don't want to dry it up too much.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.