Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 Month Old and Still Producing too Much?!

Default 6 Month Old and Still Producing too Much?!

Alright, my baby is 6 almost 6.5 months old and I'm having an issue of too much milk. I realize this isn't something to complain about but I expected engorgement to last a few weeks not several months. What can I do to make my supply more manageable? I've tried block feeding for a week but maybe I wasn't doing it right? Can anybody suggest any ideas or explain how to block feed and maybe I can try that again? I'm just so tired of having my boobs hurt!

Default Re: 6 Month Old and Still Producing too Much?!

Welcome to the forum!

You're right, it's rare for the overproduction phase of breastfeeding to last 6.5 months. But not unheard of! Some questions for you:
    - What symptoms are you seeing, exactly?
    - Are you feeding on demand?
    - Are you doing any pumping in addition to nursing? And if so, how much milk are you pumping?

When a mom has a persistent oversupply problem, block feeding for a week is unlikely to be enough. You'd basically want to block feed until the problem goes away. Can you tell us what you tried the first time, and how it went?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your response!!
    I'm feeling engorged daily. By the end of the night it does decrease but first thing in the morning I'm in quite a bit of pain. I'm still nursing 2 times at night.
    I'm feeding on demand, which is usually every 3 to 4 hours.
    I do pump occasionally to use milk to make her cereal. So once a day, unless we're going out somewhere and I need to leave milk, then I'm just pumping while we're gone so I don't feel full. I usually see 4 sometimes 5 oz when I pump one side.
    I'm only offering one side each feeding as it is and I've done that from the start.
    When I tried block feeding I would just use the same side for two feedings instead of alternating. And I didn't see much of a difference.

You may need to do longer blocks. Some mothers have to go several hours, (some, even up to 12 hours(!) thus, several nursing sessions, nursing on one side to see a difference.) Also it may take time in some cases to see results. The idea is to start with short blocks (two feedings on one side, as you did) and gradually work up to longer blocks, if and as needed.

If you do decide to try longer block nursing again, be careful to:

1) Nurse baby frequently. Frequent feeding help with many of the symptoms of overproduction. A 6 month old is still relying on breastmilk for all his nuutrition and (ideally) will for some time to come even as solids are gradually introduced. So no harm in offering to nurse if it has been a few hours.
    2) If you are getting really uncomfortably full on the side you are NOT nursing on during a 'block,' use hand expression or a very small amount of pumping to relieve pressure. You want to feel full, that is the point of block feeding - it is the biological process triggered by the full breast that reduces production. But you want to avoid hard, painful engorgement as that can cause other issues.

If block nursing is not doing the trick on its own, there is something called "Full Drainage and Block Feeding." In that case, the block nursing is preceded by pumping one time (and then if and as needed) to “drain” the breasts before starting block nursing.

Pumping for ‘extra’ milk (such as to mix with food) in such a situation may over stimulate production, so you might want to back off on pumping for now. With overproduction, presumably your baby gets plenty of breastmilk, so you need not use it to mix food.

I do suggest discussing your options for treating over production with a board certified lactation consultant. (IBCLC) Block nursing WILL reduce your milk production, possibly dramatically, so it is very important to be sure that baby be gaining vey well on breastmilk and the symptoms are troubling to mom and/or baby before blocks are increased. Also, block nursing can lead to issues of engorgement, mastitis etc.

These articles have further information:

The Dark side of block feeding http://cwgenna.com/blockfeeding.html

General op and block feeding articles:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ggrimacing.pdf

Full drainage and blockage http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2075483/