Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone still nursing at age 4? dealing with low milk supply

Default Anyone still nursing at age 4? dealing with low milk supply

Hi ladies, My DS just turned 4 on May 30. He still nurses about 4x per day. He just finally started sleeping all night. I didn't have it in me to night wean so I let him do it on his own. I'm still happy with nursing but the last few days I have had allergies and a horrible cold on top of it and just feels awful. Now he has a cold as well and it seems that although I'm drinking a ton I am not producing much. Not taking any meds either. Just suffering. He is miserable and doesn't want anything but milky and I can't give him much . I'm frustrated and so he? Any tips. I feel strange taking fenugreek or anything at this point even though he seems content to continue nursing.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

Default Re: Anyone still nursing at age 4? dealing with low milk sup

Hi sarahak! I nursed my two sons until they each weaned at around age 5. One was gently encouraged by me to wean and the other just up and stopped nursing one day.

So your son will nurse but says there is not milk? Or does it hurt you if he nurses? I am just asking because some kids will nurse pretty happily even when mom makes very little.

Was this a pretty sudden drop off in production? Any particular reason that might happen?

If not, I am thinking this may be only temporary, and if your son will nurse your production will come back. However, if you DO want to keep nursing, I don't see anything odd with you taking fenugreek or some other galactagogue, pumping, or whatever else you might want to try to increase production so your son can nurse more happily. Your child is still a nurseling, your supply may be off due to illness or exhaustion, and it sounds as if neither of you are ready to wean right this second.

If you are ready for this to be weaning, know that even when it is gentle and loving, weaning is often a time for adjustment and some sadness on both sides. Anytime a child weans, knowing they can still have all the cuddles and closeness they had with mom before weaning can help. Cuddles help mom too!

Thanks so much for your response. I think that the illness on top of the seasonal allergies has left me run down. I drink all day but I've just felt sluggish and thirsty since the cold and sinus problems started. It doesn't hurt me at all for him to nurse. He just keeps telling me to make more LOL. He doesn't feel great and I just wish I could provide him with as much as he wants If my supply doesn't pick back up after a few days when my cold is gone I might try the fenugreek. You are right, neither of us are ready to stop.

Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

My DD self weaned 11 days after her 4th birthday! I didn't have much, but I was preg so that's prob why. If she didn't wean, we would still be nursing today. just wanted to send support your way. It can be lonely to nurse an older child when you don't know anyone who does. luckily I know a few, and you know here many do or have nursed bigger kids.

hope for some relief to your allergies soon!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

mine is 4 and 8 months, nurses to sleep most nights. Lately he started nursing early morning again. lately he often he tells me there is not much, or that it is empty now, and he says the rigth breast is always empty. What he does though is to exert gentle pressure with his hand on my left breast, and when I asked him why he says the milk flows better. It is not painful so I let him do it. He does it either from underneath putting his hand right under the aureola sort of pushing the breast towards the mouth or sometimes from top. it is sort of like the movement in the jack newman video on compression.
    Maybe you and your son can finid the right place to compress/massage if you are comfortable with it?

My son has been doing his own compression as well to get more milk. He doesn't hurt me so I let him do it since it works. It is just frustrating since normally the only time my supply is a little less is when my period is about to start. My cold seems to be going away and I got some rest last night. Hopefully my production will pick back up. It is sometimes lonely especially since nobody outside our house knows at this point. They would die LOL. My DS said he is going to have milky forever LOL. For now, I just go along with it Thanks for the support!

Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

It is sometimes lonely especially since nobody outside our house knows at this point.
    same here i would never tell anyone voluntarily and he does not either.

Mine says he will do it until 6. I am not sure I want that. He almost finished this jan/feb reduced it to a few times a week but now seems to bent on increasing it (I guess the morning one is his way of enduring supply - although I did not tell him that). I keep thinking that 4 year olds still nursing might make good lactation counsellors when it comes to the practical side of how to nurse effectively - he is quite good at making the most of the little there is and how to get it all out.

My son weaned at 4.5 years old. He was at that point going entire days without nursing. So it was a VEEERRRY gradual process for us. He had to go 2 whole weeks before we called him weaned and had a party!

Way too lazy for formula

Sometimes I wonder if he will ever quit. I don't mind it right now most days. Some days I feel like he gets bored (rainy day or something) he is constantly asking. That can get to me a little. The morning and before bed I still really enjoy. Last summer that was what we were at but it seemed through the winter it increased. Luckily, today he told me his milky is back so he must be getting more now that I'm feeling better! I worry about stuff too much. I've made milk for this long, don't know why I think now is different than before LOL. It is seriously wonderful to hear from you other moms nursing or that have nursed this long. Makes me feel happy!

Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

My Mollie will be 4 next month and we are still going strong with no end in sight - she nurses AM and PM, occasionally during the afternoon and night, and at naptime on the weekends. Mollie has told me "when the ninny is cold, there is milk in it"...OK. I ask every once in a while if she is still getting milk and I get "uh huh...see..." - thanks.

I really hate it for those who have to wean before their kids can talk - there is a whole new level to this when your nursling can give you feedback!
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 18 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 4 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!