Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EBM refusal at daycare?

Default EBM refusal at daycare?

Hi ladies, hoping to tap into your knowledge again. LO (13 months) has recently started cutting waaaay down on his intake of expressed breastmilk at daycare. I send bottles of EMB, straw cups with water & cow milk, and solids. Solids are hit or miss, he likes water, refuses cow milk, and will take eat only 2-5 ounces of breastmilk over the 9 hour day (he used take 12). I'm down to 2 pumps/workday and would like to back off to 1 pump/day, especially since he seems to need it less. But I have very little in the freezer. So I want to be cautious and figure out what's going on before I continue pump weaning, in case the pattern could reverse.

Here are some of the changes he's experienced lately:
    -His solids intake is going up but it varies day to day. We offer him three "meals" daily - sometimes he is really into it, other times it mostly goes to the floor.
    -He will drink a few oz water from the straw cup over the course of the day (with his meals).
    -When we first introduced cowmilk he seemed interested, but for the past two weeks or so he's refused it entirely.
    -Near continuous teething for the past 6 weeks ... first the molars, then straight into canines.
    -Off and on illness over the same period - a cold, a weird rashy-fever-virus, and just recently hand foot and mouth (yuck - although he doesn't have mouth sores that I can see).
    -When we're together (3 days/wk and cosleeping at night) he still nurses a lot, maybe 5-8 times per 24 hours. Night nursings have increased recently but I shrugged it off as teething and illness related.
    -He will no longer accept a bottle of breastmilk AT ALL in our house ... even if daddy or grandparents are watching him for a long time, he'll just do solids and water and then be eager to nurse when I get home.

I guess I'm wondering if it's developmentally normal/expected for them to start rejecting expressed breastmilk? Or is he just self-weaning from bottles? I don't feel like he's fully making up those lost BM calories from solids alone since he's so sporadic with them. What do you think ladies, can I assume this is his new normal and continue with the pump weaning process, or should I play it safe if everything's out of whack from teething/sickness and stay in a holding pattern for a little while longer?

Default Re: EBM refusal at daycare?

My daughter stopped taking bottles right around the same age. I took it as my cue to totally pump wean. It wasn't a problem for us. She never drank cow's milk either. I suppose my point is that nothing you're describing seems out of the ordinary or like anything you need to worry about.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree. It sounds like he's only interested in getting his breastmilk straight from the tap. Which is fine! From what you describe of your nursing pattern, he's still getting plenty. I think you should proceed with the pump weaning. With regards to cow's milk, my LO wasn't interested in it either, initially. I didn't push the issue since she's getting plenty of breastmilk, but my husband and older kids drink a lot of cow's milk and so she sees them drinking it and lately has been asking for it. She seems to like it now. My point being, if you want DS to drink cow's milk, he may start liking it eventually. But, since you're still breastfeeding plenty, no rush on that!

Ok thanks ladies. Sounds like you think he'll be OK on solids and water at daycare and nursing the rest of the time with me. I just needed the reassurance from some veteran mamas I feel more confident now to proceed with dropping to 1 pump, and maybe sometime soon packing up the pump completely!