Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice

Default Advice

Hi,
    I'm hoping for some advice here on pumping. Starting Monday I go back to work full time. Since giving birth to my twin girls I have done a combination of breast feeding and pumping. I will continue to do some breastfeeding, but I will mostly be pumping when I'm back at work. My schedule with the combination has been the following:

7:30am ish - breast feed then pump (done by 9:15am)
    11:15 am - breast feed then pump (done by 12:30pm)
    3:00pm - pump (girls get bottles of expressed milk at 2:30)
    5:30pm - breast feed then pump (done pumping around 7:30pm)
    10:30pm - pump
    3:30am - pump

Because I'll be doing more pumping I've been advised I should add in an additional pump. I'm a little unclear as to where I should add it in. At this time, I plan on pumping/breastfeeding with my working schedule as follows:

6:30am - breastfeed (maybe depends on new sleep schedule) and then pump. If no breastfeeding then just pump at 7am
    10:30am - pump
    1:00pm - pump
    4:00pm - pump
    7:00 pm- pump
    8:30 pm - breastfeed then pump
    11:30 pm - pump (DO I NEED THIS PUMP IF I'VE FINISHED PUMPING/BREASTFEEDING FROM THE 8:30PM FEED AROUND 10PM?)
    3:30am - pump

Any advice is appreciated. I've definitely been able to pump enough milk for my girls when I've tested this out before, but now that there's no other options (i.e., if I didn't pump enough I could just breastfeed) I'm a bit nervous.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Advice

I think the schedule you've laid out looks like a good start, the only way to really know is to see how it goes and then adjust as needed, you know? You'll be doing less breastfeeding so I think it's reasonable to keep the 11:30 pm pumping session for now, since often pumping doesn't stimulate supply quite as well as breastfeeding. But how are things going with the breastfeeding? From what I remember one of the girls wasn't doing quite as well at the breast and that's why you need to both BF and pump? It would be nice if you could convert your 3:30 am pumping session into a breastfeeding session, instead....

Hi,
    One of my girls is a traditional preemie and she still gets too tired to breastfeed an entire feeding. It's frustrating but we also have to do what we can to make sure she eats. But my other girl is an excellent breast feeder. She had a tongue tie which we clipped and we worked on latching, which we continue to do, but she loves the breast and I want to continue to breastfeed her on the weekends.

The 3:30 am session probably won't work as a feed for the little one as she's very close to sleeping for a 5 hour stretch and isn't waking up at 3:30 now. She's up at 4:15 or 5 am or another random time and there's no way I can pump at 3:30, feed her at random time and then get up and go to work.

Oh, I see. So DH is feeding her when she wakes at the random time (I hope?). Sounds like you have things pretty well worked out - and I am full of admiration for you for managing all this!

Hi. Yes, my husband feeds her with expressed milk at the random time. Thank you for the admiration! I'm really just making it up as I go along.