Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Infant losing interest in BF

Default Infant losing interest in BF

My 4 month old has been going to a sitter for almost one month now when i returned to work. After being on the bottle with EBM he seems very lazy and will not take the time to nurse during the evening when i am with him. He does this latch for a second and then pull off and stare for a second routine. I don't want to have to exclusivly pump because it seems to diminish my supply during the week. Any suggestions on getting him to nurse more vigorously?

Default Re: Infant losing interest in BF

How much EBM is he getting during the day, and how many hours are you apart? One possibility is that if he is getting too much, it is diminishing his interest in nursing when you are together. Is he nursing overnight? In the morning? How does he do at those times? I agree, you don't want to exclusively pump!

During the day he eats 5-6oz every 2.5 - 3 hours. I checked with the pedi and they said that was fine. I am away from him for about 10-11 hours each day 5-6 days a week. Once I'm with him I try to nurse and he will just snack for a few minutes(less than 5) and hes done. Same thing once we get home, and before he goes to bed he nurses better but i thinks its more of a comfort thing because he quickly falls asleep. He will wake at least twice if not three times because he is so hungry from not eating enough. Before I went back to work he would sleep from 10pm - 5am and eat like a champ. He nurses well first thing at his 6am feeding and i try and get one more nursing in at 8am which he is probably still full but it helps me until i can get to work and pump.

That is a huge amount of milk for a breastfed baby. Most nursing babies don't ever take more than 4-5 ounces at the very most and that is when they are older and have a growth spurt. Your baby only needs about 1-1.5 ounces for each hour you are away. I would talk to your caregivers about giving smaller bottles and make sure your nipples are slow flow, which mimics nursing better. Here's a really great article about bottle feeding a breastfed baby that you might want to share with your caregiver. And one about how much expressed breast milk a baby needs to put your mind at ease (and share with your doc if you feel the need ).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It's really hard to keep up with that amount of pumping! And, as you've already seen, when baby gets that much milk while you're apart, it decreases his interest in nursing when you're together, which can also decrease your supply. Definitely check out the links still.here posted, and here's another one too: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

thanks, I'm going to have a talk with the sitter about decreasing his feedings during the day.

I'm going to agree that he's getting a LOT of milk during the day. Keep in mind that most pediatricians know very little about the eating habits of bf babies. I'm amazed you're even able to pump that much! I work 9 hours and my guy gets three 4 oz bottles (sometimes an oz or so less if I pump less the day before). I actually thought THAT was a lot! The key was I had to search for the slowest flow nipples I could find so DS doesn't gobble up all his milk at once. I also had to explain to my family that he can't have more bc I need him to eat from me in the evening. My guy is also 4mos.

Also, the fact that he eats just fine in the morning is a clue that he's not disinterested in general - just stuffed at night!