Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 weeks old baby does not nurse

Default Re: 8 weeks old baby does not nurse

And FYI: My baby does not eat much, only up to 3oz each feeding. Even with the bottle, she only sucks actively only at the beginning, then if she's less hungry, she'll suck less actively.

Birth weight: 6 lbs 7 oz
    At 1 month: 8 lbs 2.5 oz( she was given formula due to my low milk supply, totally 1000gr)
    At 2 month(on june 30th): 10 lbs 6 oz(no formula)
    Last edited by @llli*lylymom; June 26th, 2013 at 07:29 PM.

And FYI: My baby does not eat much, only up to 3oz each feeding. Even with the bottle, she only sucks actively only at the beginning, then if she's less hungry, she'll suck less actively.
    but this is normal. 2-3 ounces would be normal average intake per nursing session because baby this age would typically be nursing at least 8-10 times in 24 hours. Some babies take much more from bottles and are thus fed less frequently. But breastfeeding is different. In other words, you baby shows normal appetite.

1 month to 2 months-was that 30 days, all breastmilk? no formula? baby gained a little over two pounds? That is good gain. So assuming baby is not unhealthy some other way, wouldn't baby protest if she was not getting milk at the breast?

Mommal is this a situation you would suggest a digital infant scale, before and after nursing weight checks maybe? I know you used one before...So lylymom can get a better picture of how much baby can transfer? Because weight gain seems ok, I think baby is maybe falling asleep at the breast because baby is full. A healthy, well gaining baby that is falling asleep at the breast may be a full and contented baby, not a worn out baby.

No, she's not full, since I offer the breast first and she would fall asleep, after that she gets the bottle and drinks 2-3 oz. I think she's lazy nursing .
    Last edited by @llli*lylymom; June 26th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.

Yes, I understand, but it is very typical for a baby to drink from much more from a bottle than baby needs. I understand you think she is a lazy nurser. But you are basing this on the fact that nursing is gentle and baby falls asleep while nursing,. And these are actually normal. Right now, you keep giving entire feedings in a bottle (2-3 ounces is a full, complete feeding) and expecting your baby to nurse better. But why would baby nurse better when baby keeps getting entirely fed via the bottle? I think mommla and I are suggesting the same thing…what you have been doing so far, the frequent bottles, is not working for getting baby back to nursing. So it is time to try something else. Yes you do have to feed the baby. But going by the weight gain you report, baby is gaining just fine. So you can experiment with this a little.

In general there are two primary reasons a baby would be a 'lazy' nurser. One is, baby is UNABLE to extract any or enough milk, so baby loses interest. The other is, baby is getting all the milk baby needs with a bottle-baby is never truly hungry at the breast, or, baby no longer associates the breast with food.

When you pump, is it a really long time before you have a letdown (the milk starts coming?) Because otherwise, I do not understand why the pump can get milk out but not your baby. A poor latch would explain this to a degree, but not (typically) lazy nursing. Not in a healthy baby this age. YOu make milk. So Baby should be getting SOME milk at the breast.

Knowing that a bottle is coming may MAKE baby 'lazy' at the breast. That is my point.

How about, next time baby falls asleep after nursing, let baby sleep until baby wakes, which is quickly, usually, right? Less than an hour or two? And then offer the breast again instead of immediately giving a 2-3 ounce bottle?

How often are you offering to nurse? A baby this age would typically nurse at the very least 8 times a day, Much more often in many cases. Frequent, small feedings are what is normal.

Have you ever hand expressed a little before nursing to see if that gets baby more interested? Done breast compressions? Taken a little milk in a syringe and squirted into babies mouth to see if that gets baby nursing more actively again?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 27th, 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Mommal is this a situation you would suggest a digital infant scale, before and after nursing weight checks maybe? I know you used one before...So lylymom can get a better picture of how much baby can transfer? Because weight gain seems ok, I think baby is maybe falling asleep at the breast because baby is full. A healthy, well gaining baby that is falling asleep at the breast may be a full and contented baby, not a worn out baby.
    Yes! Lylymom, if you can get a very good digital infant scale, one that is accurate to the 1/10th of an oz (I think that's like 3 g in metric?), you could use it to figure out whether or not your baby actually needs the bottle after nursing at the breast. I used one with my first child and it was very helpful. For example, if I nursed my baby and discovered from the scale that she had taken in less than an oz of milk, I knew it was time to offer a bottle. But if I nursed her and found that she had taken in 2-3 oz, I knew that I didn't have to supplement her.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"