Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my 9 wk old obese?!?!

Unhappy Is my 9 wk old obese?!?!

A crazy statement right? But someone actually said that to me. I am sooo tired of everyone telling me she is too big. The comments of how chubby her cheeks are, were cute at first but now comments are more "how much are you feeding her ". They are starting to make me feel like I am doing something wrong. My daughter was 8 lbs 4 oz at birth and is now 15lbs at 9 wks. I breastfeed on demand and she drinks expressed breast milk while I am at work. She is a cluster eater and usually wants to latch on to me as soon as I walk through the door. She has recently started to spit up more after eating which as made me think ....maybe I am doing something wrong and doubt myself. This amount of weight gain is normal right or am I harming her???

Default Re: Is my 9 wk old obese?!?!

Yeah, that's a crazy statement. Rapid weight gain is totally normal for a breastfed baby in the early weeks/months. A pound a week is not uncommon in the early weeks. Weight gain tends to slow way down as a breastfed baby gets older and more mobile. Instead of packing calories on as fat, the baby puts them into things like rolling, reaching, kicking, crawling, standing, etc. You can probably expect your baby's rate of weight gain to level off sometime in the next few months.

For the record, my second kid was born at around 7lbs, 10oz and gained a lb a week for a couple months. She weighed 18lbs by the time she was 4 months old. Totally normal. She is now a very muscular, extraordinarily tall, and slender 3 year old.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

All my kids have been very high in the weight percentiles (around 90%) in the early months, then dropped percentiles later. So my six-year-old is now 50% for weight, my three-year-old is 10%, and my 15 month old is 40%.

I also had a rapid early gainer--born at 6 lbs 13 oz, weighed 18 lbs at 4 months! Mine actually went above the WHO growth chart's highest percentile curve at 5 months...but she's slowed down now that she's putting calories into movement. Give your big baby a squeeze and ignore the silly comments.

yeah, wait till she starts using up that store of fat & doesn't gain anything between 6 & 9 months (which is a completely normal bf pattern)! if she wasn't getting super chubby now, she'd have nothing to fall back on then. it is impossible to overfeed a baby by nursing.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

No.

Way too lazy for formula