Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Angled nipple after breastfeeding

Default Angled nipple after breastfeeding

My nipples are angled like lipstick. When I google it, they all say it signals a bad latch, however both my doula and the lactation consultant both said my latch is really good. There is no pain during feeding, however the latching on and first few sucks hurt. Lately he's been fussy crying at the breast so he keeps going on and coming off and it hurts a lot. I wonder is the nipple shape is related. Thanks

Default Re: Angled nipple after breastfeeding

When your nipple comes out of baby's mouth looking wedged or creased or lipstick-shaped, it indicates compression of the nipple. Compression can happen for 2 reasons:
    1. Baby is not able to get the nipple into the proper position on the back of the tongue due to something like a tongue tie, a positioning issue, flat or inverted nipples, a high palate, etc.
    2. Baby is compressing the nipple on purpose in order to control milk flow, rather as you would crimp a hose to control the flow of water.

Since you generally only feel pain during latch-on and the first few sucks, and not throughout the feeding, your baby probably has the ability to get a nice deep latch. Popping on/off the breast while feeding often indicates a flow speed issue, so I'm leaning towards possibility number 2 to explain the lipstick nipples. Do you have have a lot of milk right now? Are you often feeling full/engorged? Do you ever see milk squirt/stream from the breast when baby unlatches? Does baby ever cough, gag, splutter, or make a click or cluck noise while nursing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I must be having latch issues because now it does hurt during the feeding though it hurts less than the initial latch.. Unless the pain is caused by the trauma of him latching and unlatching so much. I now have the lipstick shape and at the tip of it seem to be blisters. I have a lot of milk but it never gushes out. I leak a lot and sometimes he clicks but usually not.

If you're getting pain throughout the feeding and nipple damage (the blisters), it's time to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for hands- on help and an assessment of baby's latch.

Meanwhile, you might want to try reclining while nursing- laid-back positions enlist gravity to slow milk flow to the baby, and slower flow may decrease baby's need to compress the nipple.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just came back from the lactation consultant. My baby is too hungry and impatient. Since I already tried feeding more frequently, she suggested I give him a bottle with pumped milk for the first few sucks so he's no longer starving. Then give him the breast. We tried it and it worked. He latched right away without fuss. Hopefully without him pulling off for 10 minutes before every feeding, my nipples can heal. He also may latch better when he wasn't starving.