Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby twitching while nursing

Default baby twitching while nursing

my little guy started twitching while nursing it's always at the end, right before he falls asleep and mostly just his arms. although sometimes his legs twitch too. it only happens once or twice a week at most and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this?

Default Re: baby twitching while nursing

It sounds like it's probably something called benign neonatal sleep myoclonus. Basically, it's little muscle contractions, particularly of the extremities, which manifest during sleep or the transition into sleep. If that's what it is, it should resolve spontaneously. But don't be afraid to bring it up with your pediatrician!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yup that sounds like exactly what's happening, *off to Google!

Well, it doesn't sound right after all the benign neonatal thing normally is present from birth and disappears before six months. My little guys twitching started around 3 months and is happening more not less. I've got an appointment with a pediatric neurologist tomorrow anyways for his flat spot, I'll see what he thinks about it.

Hopefully it's something equally benign. It might help to get a video of the behavior to show the neurologist, since you can't count on the baby doing it during the appointment.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"