Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to wean so it wont be paingful

Default how to wean so it wont be paingful

I have two weeks left until our goal to stop breast feeding and pumping. How do I go about it so that I dont get engorged and painful. I pump 3x at work and once I'm home i breastfeed. Should i eliminate 1 pump do for less time...????

Default Re: how to wean so it wont be paingful

How old is your baby? IIRC, she's only about 5-6 months...?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

By that time he will be 6 months

Okay, so since your baby is still so young you're going to need to go slow with the weaning process. When you have lots of milk- as would be expected with a baby who is less than a year old and still entirely dependent on you for his food- you have to be extra careful as you reduce the number of pumping and nursing sessions. The approach I would take is to drop one nursing or pumping session, wait several days, and then drop another, wait several days, etc., until you are down to no sessions at all. Meanwhile, stay alert for things like plugged ducts or mastitis, since they often crop up during the weaning process. If they do, you're going to want to put weaning on hold and empty the breast as much as possible, even if that sets your plans back.

Since you're planning to wean at just 6 months, it's important to have a plan for feeding and comforting your baby without using the breast. Until the first birthday, a baby should get the majority of his nutrition from either breastmilk or formula, with solids only "complementing" breastmilk/formula, not replacing them. So you will want to know if your baby will drink formula- many babies don't like the taste. If he doesn't like formula, you may have to go a little slower with weaning, and perhaps start mixing formula into your baby's breastmilk bottles, gradually increasing the amount of formula in the bottles until your baby will take a bottle of plain formula.

Comforting a baby without using the breast is perhaps the hardest challenge of all. Right now you probably do things like nurse your baby down to sleep, or use the breast to soothe him when he's cranky, sick, or hurting. Babies who rely on nursing for comfort are often really miserable when mom is withholding the breast just when the baby wants it most. It may help to enlist alternate caregivers (dad, grandma, whoever) to get baby through the tough transitions in his day.

I don't mean to be pushy, but I'd feel like I wasn't doing my duty as a La Leche League member if I didn't mention that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies be nursed for a minimum of 1 year (the World Health Organization recommends a 2 year minimum), and that continuing to nurse has significant health and mothering benefits for both you and your baby. If you're at all indecisive about weaning, and would like to talk about what nursing can be like as you go into the second six months, or you're having trouble with nursing that makes you feel like you must wean, please let us know! Maybe we can put your mind at ease or suggest something that will enable you to continue on. If that's what you want, of course!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you I'll try that. Baby is already taking a bottle and formula we started about 2 months ago when I went back to work so we're over that hurddle . I completely understand about nursing for min of 1 yr but for personal reasons we're going to stop at 6 months. But I can say I do know Im going to miss that bonding with him especially because when we started it took us 2 months to finally get good at breast feeding. We are ready and thank you again.