Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaned!!! Now what?

Default Pump weaned!!! Now what?

I officially left my pump at home today!!

I am so relieved!!! I started to hate pumping a few months ago...

So, what are the next steps for gradual weaning? We still nurse about 3-4 times at night (probably not much in some sessions, is just to go back to sleep I guess), plus once before I go to work and then we nurse about 1-2 in the evenings.

I am really tired of waking up 4 times at night. At some point she was only waking up twice, and I was ok with that, but she's been waking 4 times for the past month.

I guess I can cut the one before going to work... or one of the night sessions??

How do you make the baby go to sleep without the boob??

Thanks!

Default Re: Pump weaned!!! Now what?

What's your goal? Do you want to be done with nursing ASAP or are you content to continue on for a good long while? Do you want to cut out the night feedings and continue to nurse on demand during the day?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hmm... I don't really have a goal. I guess by 18 months if possible? She's 13 mo now...

I can only nurse on demand on weekends since I work all day for 9 hours... So, does that mean that I need to keep nursing at night? (to compensate?)

I would really like to cut at least a couple of feedings at night. I don't mind waking up a couple of times (I've done it for so long I guess I'm used to it!) but when it gets to 4 then I start being tired the next day...

Thanks!

It sounds like the nighttime nursing is really getting you down, which I can totally understand. At this point, you can definitely night-wean, and not worry about your daytime supply. I mean, if you continue to night nurse that is awesome in terms of giving your LO plenty of your milk and in terms of maintaining supply- but you don't have to continue to night-nurse, especially if too much nighttime demand is wearing you out and making you eager to wean sooner rather than later! I personally would rather see a mom nurse happily once or twice a day for a longer time than nurse many times at night for a shorter time, and resent it all the while!

The Jay Gordon night-weaning method is a decent starting point- it's not cry-free but it's not totally hard-nosed, either. See http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html for more. Getting a baby to sleep without nursing is tough, I'm not going to lie! Try nursing her until she's drowsy and then putting her into bed, and stay nearby while she falls asleep. Give her a back rub, sing songs, whatever. Once she transitions to falling asleep without a breast in her mouth, you can work on phasing out the back rubs and lullabies.

Once you've got the night-weaning under way, then you might want to reassess the 18 month goal. See if it's still what you want once you're not so burned out!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

But...the increased night nursing probably has to do with her 1st year molars breaking...I would wait until they break through (Usually a 4-6week stint) before night weaning.

Way too lazy for formula

Yes djs.mom, I think she already has 2 molars showing, and probably the other w are on their way. I thought that was the reason, or hitting the big walking milestone, which she's been walking with push toys for a while, but maybe she's getting closer to be able to walk by herself??

Night nursing is really getting me. I didn't count last night's but they were a bunch! I woke up so tired... I couldn't even get my contacts in my eyes
    I will wait maybe this week and see if it gets better... then I'll discuss what mommal proposed with my DH to see if he would be on board. Night time routine has been a mommy duty since the begining... but I'd really need help if we're going to try to night wean.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I too feel tempted to night wean when the night wakings get so frequent. If it's like 3ish per night I can handle it... when it's every 1-2 hrs I get exhausted. And when it's a month straight of that kind of craptastic sleep (like the molars coming through), I get CRAZY. So I hear ya.

But every time he gets like that, it turns out he's either teething or getting sick (or most often both at the same time, which is super fun). And in my more lucid daytime moments, I know rationally that when he's teething and/or sick, he's going to wake up that much regardless of nursing, because he's in pain or uncomfortable. The breast is the easiest, fastest way to sooth him. It is exponentially harder for me to resettle him with anything else . I'm not saying do or don't night wean ... but just consider what could be the cause(s) of the increased night wakings, whether night weaning will solve it, do you have night time help from your partner, and do you have other tools in your night time toolbox that work sufficiently well to get your baby back to sleep? For me the answers to those questions are NO, NO and NO ... so, night nursing (and cosleeping) remains my primary coping strategy!