Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding on Levofloxacin 750mg?

Default Breastfeeding on Levofloxacin 750mg?

I am currently breastfeeding my 18 month old and was just put on Levofloxacin
    (750mg daily). My dr (although a dermatoligist) said there have been little to no studies but considered safe for breastfeeding. The lack of studies makes me uncomfortable. I am to be on it for 14 days and although we have only 2-3 short nursing sessions a day now I'm wondering if I need to stop. I don't want to but I'm nervous. Anyone else have information/experience in this area?

Default Re: Breastfeeding on Levofloxacin 750mg?

The entry for Levofloxacin in Medications and Mothers' Milk doesn't cite many studies, but it takes what research has been done and extrapolates what the levels in milk would probably be and when the amounts would peak. I'll email you a PDF of the entry in case you'd like to go through it with your doctor.

My other suggestion would be to call InfantRisk at (806) 352-2519. They can tell you more and can probably help you figure out how to time feedings to minimize your baby's exposure to the medication.

But with an 18 month old who eats solids and only nurses two or three times a day, any potential risk is much, much lower than it would be with a newborn who is entirely dependent on milk.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--