Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed:Advised by Endocrinologist to shift to formula

Default Re: Advice needed:Advised by Endocrinologist to shift to for

I know that continuing with BM is best - sometimes it just gets so hard with the negative feedback and advice. Will keep pushing forward!
    No kidding! People are always bemoaning the low breastfeeding rates. "Why don't more mothers breastfeed???" and all that. But some days, I think it is a wonder ANYONE breastfeeds in this culture.

Just a reminder to responders -- please don't give medical advice (advising a mother to ignore her doctor's recommendations is itself a form of medical advice). Not that anyone here has done it explicitly, but the tone of the thread seems to be leaning in that direction.

That said, my main suggestion would be to get a second opinion, which apparently you're already doing, aimeedeguzman. It sounds like you're on the right track to me.

I had a similar experience with my DD at around 18 months, though we never got to the endocrinologist stage. Our pediatrician was making worried noises, advising me to wean, and talking about doing tests, but then we moved and got a new ped, who had no concerns about DD's growth whatsoever... Just wrote "parents are 5'2" and 5'6"" on DD's chart and that was the end of it.

Let us know what the new ped says, if you get a chance.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks for the gentle reminder Karen

Hi everyone! We just got back from our doctor's appointment. My DD has gained 0.4kg since the last check-up - not great but not bad either. Our new PD did not find any concern on her growth. One thing I was very happy about is that he used Singpaore Growth charts which is more apt for my baby. She was well within her percentile for wt and ht, and this really relieved me of the stress from her results on the CDC charts.

After listening to the story of our last doc's visit, he reaffirmed that continuing BM for my baby will help her increase her calorie intake - which is the area he would like us to work on. He did say also to ensure that in terms of the solids we are taking, we focus on high calorie food items such as cod, salmon and also adviced us to introduce pork. He advised to continue with breastfeeding as long as my baby wants and ensure she has 3 nutritious meals + 2 small snacks (if she wants). One thing he also advised in cases wherein her solid intake is not that good, we can give her 1 glass of Pediasure (I guess this is already a supplementation?) since it has the highest calorie count.

Thank you for all the reassuring words. At least I have confirmed now that we will continue on with our breastfeeding journey as long as the little one would like!

So glad to hear that your doctor was supportive of you continuing to nurse! The Pediasure is not a bad idea. But check out the label- it's a heavily processed food that relies on simple sugars for a lot of its calorie content, and you might want to look into making homemade supplemental drinks. You can make tasty beverages based on coconut, almond, or cow's milk, and protein powder, and cut the sugar a little if you choose.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

that sounds like much more reasonble advice to me!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Good, I'm glad you got another opinion and that you're finding the support you need. Phew!
    Mama to
    O - July 2008
    and
    J - June 2012

Just a quick reminder the only thing bout pediasure is that it is advised after 2 years of age according to manufacturers instructions, don't know why , if because it comes in category of breast milk substitute or any other reason