Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement/oversupply?

Default Engorgement/oversupply?

Hello, I am new to the boards and have a few questions....I am currently breastfeeding my 2 week old son. My DD is 4 and I EP'd with her. We are currently nursing pretty good with a few exceptions....DS has a preference to my left breast, 99% of the time I can't get him to latch to the right no matter was position I use, any suggestions or can I feed off just the left side? I am currently pumping enough off the right to feel comfortable but still struggling with engorgement, should I continue to pump or suffer through the engorgment? DS seems to be gaining good, 6/10/13 birth weight 6 #5oz, discharge weight 5#15 oz, 6/19/13 weight check 6# 12oz.

Default Re: Engorgement/oversupply?

Welcome to the forum!

It is definitely possible to nurse on just one breast. Think about moms of twins- that's basically one breast per baby, right? While one-sided nursing is possible, it's usually better to have 2 breasts in service. That way you're less likely to get lopsided from one breast getting lots of stimulation and making lots of milk while the other gets little and makes little, and you'll have a working spare breast in case there's some reason you can't nurse on the baby's preferred side.

I think it makes sense to continue to pump the unused side, removing enough milk to feel comfortable. I wouldn't take more than a couple of oz at a time, because 2-4 oz is generally all a baby eats at a feeding and taking more than that will perpetuate the oversupply/engorgement problem. The breast produces as much milk as is demanded of it, so take 2 oz and you'll make 2 oz again, take 6 oz and your body will replace that 6 oz. The more milk you leave sitting in the breast between feedings, the more your supply will decline. Simply putting up with the engorgement would be the fastest way to get supply to go down, but not the most comfortable, and engorgement increases your risk of plugged ducts and mastitis. So if you can bear to continue to pump, or better yet to hand express, I would continue to do so.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for the fast reply! Would you recommend pumping the right breast every time I nurse? Or just when I get uncomfortable?

Tough to say! Hopefully your baby will soon start taking the neglected breast and this will all be a moot point. Would you say your supply is currently about equal between sides, or is one side an overachiever? If supply is approximately equal, I think I might pump the breast every time baby nurses or perhaps every other time, removing just a couple of oz. That way you wouldn't end up with one breast that's big and one that's tiny. But if the unused side is an overachiever, I think I'd let it go longer between pumping sessions, if possible, so that supply reduces on that side.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"