Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 Week Old Baby Not Gaining Weight

Unhappy 10 Week Old Baby Not Gaining Weight

Hi to everybody out there.....

I have a ten week old son who doesn't gain weight properly....
    To begin with my LO was 2.720 kg at the time of birth and after 6 days he became 2.430 kg and was hospitalized for neonatal jaundice. At the time of discharge he was 2.460 kg. I met with a lactation consultant in hospital and she found out that i had latching problem and the reason she said was that i have a huge breast and baby's mouth is small.....when i say small way too small for my big nipple to get an entry!!!

I was and still is a BF fan and i always wanted to feed my baby from my breast. At home i tried every possible way to latch properly and feed my baby. I was sitting with pillows all around me 24/7 waking up my sleepy baby and pushing him to feed. After a week he still didn't gain weight and doc lectured me abt failure to thrive and asked to supplement twice daily. I returned from the clinic with a very heavy heart and feeling extremely useless. But I was so scared since i have seen my mother losing 3 precious babies (as they were premature at 32 and 34 weeks). We had gone through a lot. I who had always boasted saying that i will never supplement my child had to take that difficult decision and started supplementing only once at night instead of twice. After 2 1/2 weeks my baby had gained 800 gs and was 3.230 kg at 5th week and had started suckling properly. So i stopped Formula started BF full time. Then came another issue......Low supply.........After endlessly feeding for three days without sleep finally i got my supply back. And I Was happily feeding my baby full all the 9-10 times he feeds.

He is excessively gassy and often have reflux from it. Finally at the eighth week as we went for check up regarding his reflux his weight was 3.600 kg. According to doc he had only gained 900 gs since birth in 8 weeks which is very less. Again he suggested to supplement with AR Formula. I was almost at the verge of screaming withagony.

Again with a heavy heart i supplemented him for 2 times per day 90 oz each for three days and by 9th week he was 4.000 kg....he gained 400 grams in that week!!!!. Since i didn't want to continue formula i stopped it altogether and BF only now. Again the weight is not going up in the tenth week. During his 10 week he was eating every 2 1/2 hours day time and from 4.00 pm till 4.00 am continuous feeding every 30 minutes. I was totally exhausted to a point of madness. But still i fed him 12 hours straight. On 4th day he was fine and slept for 4 hours at night from 12.30 t0 4.30 am. When i thought finally its over and may be its a growth spurt he started this again on 5th day and 6th day (that is yesterday). last two days he was having cold and was not able to suckle properly so i mostly pumped and fed him. And i am fed up of docs advice to give him formula.....i tried 4 different quite famous docs in the area and all of them said this. Since i wanted to check his weight gain and dnt want to go to the doc again for weight gain issue i bought a baby scale and weighed LO today. He has gained only 30 grams in last 7 days!!!!.

I am not understanding what is happening. I am trying my best so that i can BF my baby. I never go out for fear that i can not latch him discreetly in public. My parents had moved in with me to take care of me and my baby. I wake him up every 2-2.5 hours and feed. I can see that he is getting milk since he empties one breast and eat from the other half and falls asleep happily. I feed on demand be it day or night. He is wetting 7-8 nappies per day and pooping nicely thrice. His skin texture is good head is full of thick hair and nails needed to be trimmed every 5 days. He is very active ...i would thank god.... extra active and crossing his milestones way before the time. My Lo was 47 cm long at birth with head circumference 33 cm. At 8 weeks he was 52 cm and 38 cm.Yesterday at 10th week he is 54 cm long. But weight gain is very slow. I really do not know what to do and whom to ask for help. Is this 12 hrs of suckling a cluster feeding??? and is he having a growth spurt
    ?? If so why was there a break of 1 day in b/w??? Babies are supposed to gain weight during growth spurt right???

Why is he gaining so much less weight???? he is a very active baby and keep on moving his hands and legs vigorously and laugh at everything and every one. My mum is saying may be becoz he is very active he is gaining less weight........i don't know.....I am desperate and is on the verge of losing my sanity ......i really do hope someone in here has an answer for me.....and sorry for all this rambling

Thanks & Regards
    Mum of Ihsan

Default Re: 10 Week Old Baby Not Gaining Weight

I want to help but I can't think in grams.

Can you possibly give a simple lifetime weight history converting grams to ounces? Day of life, weight, and note which periods were breastfeeding only and which included formula supplements?

And are you saying length and head circ growth is normal according to doctors?

Has his weight gain been charted on a growth chart and which one?

Please find my LO's lifetime weight history:

Birth weight 5 lb 16 oz
    After 6 days : 5 lb 7 oz
    After 10 days : 5 lb 8oz
    Week 3 : 5 lb 10 oz ( till week 3 EBF)
    Week 5 : 7 lb 2 oz ( supplementing once at night with 60 ml of formula in week 4 & 5)
    Week 8 : 7 lb 15 oz (EBF from week 6 till week 8)
    Week 9 : 8 lb 13 oz ( supplemented 3 days with 90 ml formula twice per day)
    Week 10 : 8 lb 14 oz (EBF also has cold last two days)

And yes as per doctors his length and head circ growth is normal.

I am sorry but his weight gain has not been charted on a growth chart.

I really do hope you can help me out. I really wanted to know if there is something wrong or not.....if anything is out of place i wanted to rectify it so that i can EBF rest of the months. I am reluctant to go back to formula.....i want my baby to be healthy not fatty

OK, so here is my interpretation of the weight gain data. My interpretation is in italics. If anyone out there sees something different, please post.
    Birth weight 5 lb 16 oz (aka 6 pounds)
    After 6 days : 5 lb 7 oz Known loss of 9 oz, or about 8% of birth weight. HIgh but Within normal range of post birth weight loss.
    After 10 days : 5 lb 8oz In 4 days of ebf, baby gained 1 oz

Week 3 : 5 lb 10 oz ( till week 3 EBF) From day 10 until day 20 (approx) baby gained 2 ounces. very slow gain

Week 5 : 7 lb 2 oz ( supplementing once at night with 60 ml of formula in week 4 & 5)

In 2 weeks, 14 days, baby gained 24 ounces, an ounce a day, normal/good weight gain. Baby was supplemented but only 60 mils (about 2 ounces) per day during this period.

Week 8 : 7 lb 15 oz (EBF from week 6 till week 8)
    In 3 weeks, 21 days, baby gained 13 ounces, or about 2/3rds of an ounce a day. Baby gaining consistently, but slower than in previous period and on the very low side of normal gain.

Week 9 : 8 lb 13 oz ( supplemented 3 days with 90 ml formula twice per day)
    in one week, 7 days, baby gained 14 ounces, twice average gain. Baby was supplemented about 6 ounces a day for 3 of those days.

Week 10 : 8 lb 14 oz (EBF also has cold last two days)
    between week 9 and 10, 7 days, baby gained 1 ounce. Back to almost non-existent gain.

If I have this right, it looks like your baby gained closest to average when bay was ebf but getting 2 ounces (60 mils) of formula a day. (weeks 4 and 5) The following period of exclusive breastfeeding showed much slower gain but still not TOO bad.

But this does not explain why you baby otherwise gains so slowly or almost not at all when baby is not getting any supplements. 2 ounces a day is less than 10 percent of what a breastfed baby needs to take in daily in order to gain weight. I don’t understand why this small amount of formula made such a huge difference in weight gain.

Part of this may be-scale error or human error. Has baby been weighed on different scales? Is baby always weighed naked? Do you always double check the scale reading?

Also, babies do gain in fits and starts, not consistently. So with frequent weight checks like you have been having, it can cause the appearance of more of an issue with overall weight gain than there actually is. This is why I was wondering what the chart says.

Maybe someone can plot ihsan.mums baby's growth on the WHO chart? I am not good at doing this.

OK, Lets say baby is not getting enough breastmilk. The evidence does point to that being at least part of the issue. There are three reasons this would happen. Sometimes it is a combination of these.

1) Baby does not nurse often enough or long enough each time.
    2) Baby nurses enough but cannot transfer milk at the breast-baby has a hard time getting milk out.
    3) Mother has low milk production.

How many times a 24 hour day does your baby nurse? Do you ever limit how long baby can nurse for, or delay a nursing session? Does baby sleep long stretches ever?

Are you giving your baby ANYTHING else to eat or drink, besides infant formula? And is the infant formula mixed as directed (or is a premixed formula?)

Does baby take a pacifier, or is baby swaddled? (if so, how often/long each day)

Have you ever seen an IBCLC to have breastfeeding assessed? IS this possible for you? You say you have low milk production. How are you been treating the low milk production?

Where do you live? In the US all babies are charted on a growth chart. This is not always a good thing. I am just curious.

1. Baby nurses 9-10 times in 24 hours usually but this week i would say he nurses 4 times during day times and from evening 4 on wards every 45 minutes till 4. am in the morning. I dont delay nursing since i co sleep with him and he is in my bed with me 24/7. And I don't feed him anything else ....i would not even expect that scenario even in my worst nightmares....no i will never anything like that.

2. He is a very wakeful baby but whenever he is sleeping he sleeps for 2-2.5 hrs if not i wake him up to feed.

3. He is not swaddled becoz he hates it scream every time i try doing that. He doesn't use pacifier either

4. I have seen a LC in hospital where she just taught me positions and latching after the delivery.....and after that i have not been assessed.

5. I have been taking a home made fenugreek seed formulation for my low milk supply and i would say I have mild over supply at present.

6 About charting not even one doctor told me anything regarding this. I live in UAE..Dubai....

Baby always used to take more time to eat like one feed used to take 1 1/2 hrs till week 7 and gradually the time taken for each feed decreased to 45 minutes and then to 30 minutes by week 9. I would say that he learned the technique by week 9. I never used to limit his feed and i never will do that....

Also yes baby was weighed in different scales with cloths on.

Any way to encourage more frequent nursing during the day?

if baby is not being charted, what is doctor going by to gage weight gain-gain from previous weight check, from birth, from lowest weight-what?

Can you see a board certified lc-ibclc?

Have you contacted UAE LLL http://www.llli.org/uae.html

there are IBCLCs in UAE. here is more info http://europe.iblce.org/country-coordinators

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432

Also yes baby was weighed in different scales with cloths on
    all weight checks should, as much as possible, be on same scale with no cloting. or, exact same clothing. Otherwise there are likely to be errors.

And checks must be on digital infant scales.

you say, all this time, baby has pooped at least 3 times a day? About how much each time?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    all weight checks should, as much as possible, be on same scale with no cloting. or, exact same clothing. Otherwise there are likely to be errors.

And checks must be on digital infant scales.
    The difference between normal weight gain and poor weight gain is a matter of ounces. The difference between a wet diaper and a dry diaper can completely throw off the reading. Any chance that you could get your own baby scale? If you can't trust the pediatrician to measure your baby correctly, you might want to get measurements that you can trust at home.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"