Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy son w green poop, possible oversupply

Default Fussy son w green poop, possible oversupply

My four week old son is constantly fussy, barely sleeps, and always wants to eat. His poops are green with mucous and often explosive w gas. He's also had a persistent diaper rash for two weeks now (despite two different prescription creams). I've worked through a lot of issues to breastfeed...I had a c section and got milk a week late, have inverted nipples, worked through latch issues that caused a lot of damage, and a bout of mastitis. I worked with a lactation consultant to heal my nipples and get a good latch with a guard and have been breastfeeding mostly pain free for about two weeks now with a nipple shield.

Unfortunately, my son is still really fussy and frequently seems to be in pain, but his weight gain is normal (he was 9 lb 10 oz at dr last wed). He constantly wants to feed and in general won't sleep more than an hour at a time (about once a day he will nap for 2.5). My LC suspects an oversupply with fore milk/hind milk imbalance. I am one of those women who does not feel a letdown, and with the nipple shield I haven't noticed any of the over active letdown issues though from time to time he has pulled off coughing. Last time I pumped for a bottle feed I got six ounces - three from each breast in about 12 min if pumping (I try to pump and feed through a bottle once every other day so he'll know how to take bottles when I go back to work) . I also stopped eating dairy five days ago at the recommendation of his pediatrician.

At the recommendation of my LC, I began block feeding yesterday. My son fed for hours straight yesterday, after he seemingly drained my breast in just 20 min or so. Should I just let him feed constantly for hours? He screams if I take him off. If I'm not block feeding, he feeds about 15 to 20 on. Each breast and will sometimes calm enough to sleep an hour. We have more or less ruled out reflux.

Even before the block feeding, I was averaging about five to six hours of sleep in a 24 hour period, so this is hard. I need help soon for my own physical and mental health. Also, to make matters worse, my husband is so sick of the crying that he wants me to stop breastfeeding completely. Im really committed to making this work and I've been through so much that I hate to give up, and I really need more help. Any ideas?

Default Re: Fussy son w green poop, possible oversupply

hi Powe6023. Sorry you are having these struggles! You have worked so very hard to get breastfeeding off to a great start, I know you are wondering if it was worth it. Well, I promise you, it is. This newborn period is a very challenging time for everyone. It does not go on forever, infact, it is very short, in the life of your child. Very short. But it feels like forever when you are in it.

So, Formula fed babies cry to. I know they do. My mom told me and she had five formula fed babies. Newborns cry. This is life with a newborn! Of course, some babies cry much more than others no matter what they are fed. And if a dairy allergy is suspected, that makes formula choices very problematic. And expensive.

A baby’s natural habitat is in the arms of mom (or another trusted adult if mom is not available.) Does baby ever sleep better/cry less while being held? Or is baby this fussy no matter where baby is?

Is this all day, 24 hours, or is there a period of time each day baby is fussier and less able to be consoled than others?

Did you try/are you trying any of the other ways to help baby handle a fast flow? Block nursing is fine if you truly have overproduction, and your pump output indicates you do, but it can take awhile before it works. You are already nursing frequently-what about nursing in a reclined position? (If you are still struggling wiht latch you could latch bay while upright and then 'relax" back to a reclined position.

Should I just let him feed constantly for hours?
    It is not in any way going to hurt baby to let him nurse.

But what other comforting techniques have you and your husband tried? Are you (or have you considered) bedsharing-for naps or nights? Can you nurse sidelying?

More tips here: fussy baby ideas: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ybabyideas.pdf

For dads: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf

Forceful letdown/oversupply http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ggrimacing.pdf
    and http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/