Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What temperature should expressed milk be given?

Default What temperature should expressed milk be given?

How do I warm expressed milk once its been in the fridge and to what temperature?

Default Re: What temperature should expressed milk be given?

My dd drinks it cold or even frozen.
    However, I know a lot of people find this http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/ a helpful guide. Directions to warm are close to bottom of page.

Different babies have different preferences. Some will drink it cold, some won't. It's important never to microwave the milk. My caregiver warms the milk in a bowl of warm water or under running warm water (depending on how quickly she needs it). Some people use a bottle warmer.

Our bottle warmer is one of the best things we've purchased. They are around $20 and use steam to quickly warm the milk without creating hot spots. It works in about 3 minutes, where using a bowl of hot water or running a bottle under tap water takes 10 or so. After warming it, you do want to check the temperature with a drop on your wrist. The drop should be about the same temperature as your skin, or slightly warmer, but not hot. Some babies will drink cold breast milk. One of mine will drink it room temperature, but the other one likes hers warm, so you can experiment.

my daughter will take it at any temp. My husband puts the bottle in warm water just until the fatty part mixes back in without shaking. It is colder than room temp but not fridge cold. He had been warming all of her bottles until one day when she just wasnt in the mood to wait. She took it cold happily so now that is how she gets it.