Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping at night

Default Pumping at night

Baby is 8 days old. I am working on pumping to keep up my supply and bottle feeding baby with it until we are able to latch successfully. I am wondering how often I need to pump at night. I have been doing it every 3 hours, at the very least, day in and day out- but I am suffering from lack of sleep more so than usual due to the strict schedule and attempts at latching. So I am wondering if it is okay to skip one or two pumps so we can get back to sleep at night. I accidentally did this last night and when I woke up around 4 am to pump, I got over five oz's, which is a little more than I'd get with those two pumps.

Will this negatively affect my supply? Do you ladies pump at night?

Just looking for ways to maximize my pumping experience while still get some rest.

Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping at night

Any time you stretch out the intervals between nursing or pumping sessions, your supply will decrease. The longer milk sits unused in the breast, the more the body gets the signal that there's no demand for it. The first few times a mom skips a nursing or pumping session, she will likely get more milk than she would have had she maintained her original schedule, but after a while she'll probably get less.

In terms of maintaining supply, it's probably ideal to pump every 3 hours at night, especially when your baby is still so very young. Babies this age often feed every 1-3 hours throughout both day and night. But you have to do what you have to do in order to function. If you give yourself one 4-5 hour break at night, that might give you the energy to keep on working on latching the baby on during the day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i agree with PP - you want to pump at least 10-12 times each 24 hours, but the spacing of that can be slightly flexible.

what are you doing to help baby latch? are you working with a lactation consultant? there is lots of good advice & support here so please ask away!

and congrats!!

eta: i see you have posted! great.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Well that got me up and pumping!

Another quick question: Is it okay/normal that one of my nipples swells to three times its size when I pump? It has only started doing so today, but it gets quite big and puffy. I wouldn't say it hurts more than it has, but it's quite alarmingly large afterwards.

Oh, and I get 2 oz's on my left and one on my right, sometimes less. I can sometimes get more with compression, but the right still always gets considerably less. Is this normal?

Thanks for the helpful replies.

That much swelling doesn't sound normal. Are you sure your pump shield fits properly?

It's totally normal to see differences in supply between sides. Human beings aren't totally symmetrical, after all. It's only a problem if it's causing you to be visibly lopsided and you care about that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No I wouldn't say there's any lopsidedness.

Yes, it gets pretty swollen. It's odd looking. I'm not sure what the pump shield part is. I'm renting a Medela Symphony from the hospital. I believe they said this was the biggest... what are those things called? Up till now they seemed to work just fine.

It does go back to normal in a few minutes.

flange.

the only thing that worries me is you said it "doesn't hurt more than normal" - but i thought you were NOT having nursing/pumping pain?

some people get 1/2 oz on one side and 4+ on the other! normal.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

The pump hurts. I wouldn't say it hurts badly... but i have to put it on max to get anything with it, and it does hurt a bit. I thought this was normal.

no nursing pain because we can't nurse yet.

you're renting a hospital medela? have you talked with your LCs about the pumping?

also i thought you'd gotten baby to latch like 3 times yesterday?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I guess I didn't explain, sorry about that. He's latched about five times in the last two weeks. But when he does latch he falls asleep with only a few sucks, or immediately spits it back out- presumably because there is nothing coming out. So though it's a latch, it isn't a feeding.