Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: block feeding

Default Re: block feeding

i know every baby is different. But, from what i hear from some parents some babies nurse on demand every 3 hrs 15 min (or however long) on each boob. And both baby is content with feeding and mother is comfortable with milk supply. i pray for this day to come!

Yes it must be hard. I feel lucky I was always able to resolve my overproduction issues without block nursing. I just don’t have the brain to think about ‘this breast for this long but not too long etc etc.’ ugh.

The day will definitely come where you feel comfortable with your milk production. That should happen fairly soon. And probably later, it will also happen that your baby establishes more or less of a nursing and sleeping rhythm-one that is recognizable yet also evolves- that feels good for both of you. Certainly that has been my experience.

But who would want a baby who nursed every such and such exact time period? Then you have to schedule your whole life around that. I have talked to moms who have baby on a feeding/sleeping schedule and their lives revolve around that schedule. That would make me crazy.

When kids are older, typically, your home life revolves around their schedule. School. Sports. Music lessons. Play dates. Ugh. It is not easier. It's harder!

you are very lucky! i know, i watch the clock like a hawk and still forget which breast is when. I had to post it in my living room since this is where i sit and feed the whole day .

I hope to experience your ways of breastfeeding soon.

I kind of like the scheduling thing. My husband and i like to know when we are available to do things and not just do spontaneous feedings wherever were at lol. But, if spontaneous is what we get then that is our blessing that he even eats!

Didn't think of it like that but thanks for giving me the mind set for the future! oh boy

I think one of the hardest things for adults to do when adjusting to a new baby is to take the whole idea of schedules and let it go. Before I had kids, I was a very scheduled person. Never late for anything, went to bed at the same time every night, ate my meals at the same time every day, etc. After kids, I had to learn to kiss the schedule goodbye and embrace the routine. The difference between a schedule and a routine is that a schedule is more rigid, and can't flex to accommodate things like a hungry baby. A routine accommodates the baby's individual needs- so if the baby is hungry but it's not an expected feeding time, you adjust and feed the baby. If it's time for bed but the baby is wide awake, you don't try to force the baby into sleep- you just make the environment conducive to relaxation and let him play a little longer.

The reason I asked about schedules is that scheduled feedings are the enemy of breastfeeding success. Milk supply is created by demand, so if you restrict demand by spacing feedings to some artificial interval, you risk reducing your supply. A lot of parents and so-called "experts" will tell you that this is silly, and that schedules can be made to work for all babies. And that just isn't true. Schedules may work for a while, but if you talk to moms who scheduled feedings for a significant amount of time, you often discover that their babies "weaned early" or that their milk "just dried up". So just say no to schedules!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"