Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice and support, 3 1/2 week old baby and teary mum.b

Default advice and support, 3 1/2 week old baby and teary mum.b

Hi all,
    i am new to this forum so i hope its ok to post a new topic.

I am here because i have a 3 1/2 week old son who i would love to exclusively breast feed.
    He is my 3rd baby and 2md in 10 months.
    My first baby i was only 19 when i had him and never concidered breast feeding him i just was so young and had pre conceived thoughts on breast feeding that were mostly negative. My 2nd baby was 4 1/2 years later and she was in the nursery tube fed for a while. I had to go to surgery after i had her so she was given a bottle. Due to her birth weight etc the pediatrition advised she stay on formula for a while, when i got home she latched in the bath so i looked up relactation but never really bothered as i was happy to bottle feed.
    My son who was born on the 29th of may i had a really hard time accepting that he was going to be born. I did not bond worth him through my pregnancy and had an awful labour which did not help anything. I decided to breast feed him but had some minor latch issues and delayed milk supply. He was so hungry that 14 hours after his birth i gave in and gave him some formula. When i got home i kept trying to feed him and suppliment with formula but i had no lactation consultanr or midwife or anything to help me so i was left to fend for myself. I bought nipple sheilds and on day 4 he finally fed. I fed him a few times a day on the breast and he was happy there the rest of the time and night he had formula as latching took a long time and we would both get upset i was far too tired at night to sit up trying to get him to latch too. I spoke to some friends who said that my milk would dry up any way doing this so i just stopped and pumped every couple of days just to see what milk i had. On the 9th of june i had nearly 2 ounces 2 days later i had 10 mils less 4 days later i had 20 mils . Then majically the next nught in the bath he latched!! And stayed there for a good 40 mins on one breast.The next day i woke up and truly missed the bonding breast feeding gave us and it was something i really wanted to do and experience. My partner has shut the door on any more children and im now distraught as i want so bad to feed him. I bought fenugreek and started taking it and started pumping as much as i could. I cant pump all the time as i only have a manual pump and 3 children a 5 year old a 10 month old and my 3 week old. I pump 4 times a day and get him to latch several times a day as well. My nipples are killing me at this point and i dont know if i should keep going. Its only been two days but i cant seem to stay awake at night to pump i already have to wake up to two babies. I fell asleep with the pump in my hand. Pumping during the day is really painful at first because my nipples are so sore. And it hurts when he latches too just like a stinging feeling. Im only getting drops probably 5mil with both breasts combined at this point. I cant get a hospital grade pump as they are so expensive to rent in my area and we really cant afford to shell out that much money in one go. And the pills that you can buy online are also very expensive especially if they dont work. Not to mention i have no CC or anything to pay for them and i live in australia so it could be a couple of weeks before they get to me. But with all this combined im trying hard to accept that i may never breast feed one of my babies but it makes me cry. It breaks my heart. Am i a lost cause ? Does any one have any advice for me ? I also find it hard to see a lactation consultant as i dont drive and have the 2 babies 24/7 and my son is off school for 2 weeks too. Im ages away from the health clinic and they are only there once a week

Default Re: advice and support, 3 1/2 week old baby and teary mum.b

Oh mama, no you are not a lost cause! You are an overwhelmed momma with good reason.

First, what help IS available to you? Who can help with your older children, ever, at all? Anyone?

What have you tried in making the latch more comfortable? I am going to post several links at the end for latch-on help. Your baby is very young, your milk production is still being established at this point. If you can get baby latching comfortably and well and nursing with good frequency, you may be able to stop pumping at all!

I cannot make head nor tale of the amounts of expressed milk you posted. I don’t know if you mean per pump session or day or what. But I am not going to belabor that because in large part, it does not matter how much milk you can pump out at this point. This is because 1) baby is very young and small amounts of milk each session would be normal 2) pumps are not usually as effective as baby anyway and 3) you are not using the best kind of pump for what you are doing. (Almost exclusively pumping.)

So don’t worry about how much comes out each time you pump. Just pump as often as you can, and if the pump is not doing the job and you cannot get a better one, try hand expression in as well. IN fact I just met a mom with low production whose baby is about the same age as yours, and she found hand expression works better for her than even her hospital grade pump! Everyone is different. And as I said, if baby starts nursing with good frequency with a decent latch, that will increase milk production.

Feed baby but don’t overfeed baby with too big bottles. A baby this age, a 2 ounce feeding is a full, complete feeding. It will fill baby’s tiny tummy. Many baby’s take more than that when bottle fed but this is due to how bottles are given, not due to baby really needing that much at once. So if baby just nursed, maybe, don't give baby 2 ounces in a bottle. Maybe give him one, and then nurse again if baby is interested. You are an experienced mother. You are not going to starve your baby. But if baby keeps getting completely fed or even over fed with the bottle, baby is, over time, going to lose interest in the breast. kwim? Also, babies learn to nurse by nursing. So baby at the breast frequently is so very very important. Yes you have to make sure baby is getting enough overall, but biologically, normal feedings at this age, BREAST OR BOTTLE should be small and very frequent. (10 or more times a day.)

OK, try here for local help: http://www.lalecheleague.org.nz/inde...oups/australia

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/

latch and positioning
    Tips with pictures on latch and different positioning ideas (includes side lying) http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

Laid back position http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

Laid back video http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Here are two simple pictorials, you want the one on latch. Notice that the mother is in a “slightly” laid back position, looks like on a couch? This is a very “adjustable” position, play around to find how you and your baby are most comfortable. http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html

latch and 'Breast sandwich' article http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvfebmar04p3.html (probably only needed if baby cannot latch or latch is hurting mom)

general info
    What is normal in the early weeks with a breastfed baby http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Feeding cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf

feeding non-latching baby http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ching_baby.pdf

Hand Expression http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

pumping log http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...umpigchart.pdf

Bottle feeding the breastfed baby http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Thank you so much for your reply.
    I am off to see the dr tomorrow in hopes of getting a script for dom as its only $15 for 100 pills at my local chemist but it is prescription only.
    I have had a bit more success pumping i am now getting little squirts, still nothing like i had before but much better than the drops i was getting 2 days ago. I pump about 10 mils per time for both breasts and then hand express some. Im now taking 4 tablets of fenugreek 3 x per day so i hope this helps too. I am going to study those links you sent me as much as i can. I will focus the next 2 weeks on building my supply pumping and trying to feed when i can. And then once my son goes back to school i will see a lactation consultant. I was able to give him about 20 mils of my milk in a bottle and he made the sweetest sighs as he was drinking. Im feeling so much happier and positive today but any more advice is greatly appreciated xo

Don't forget hand expression esp. if you cannot get a better pump. Dom may indeed increase your production but the milk must be effectively and frequently removed from the breast! that part is vital. If baby can and will nurse, keep letting baby nurse. Baby learns to breastfeed by breastfeeding.

hi mama, i just wanted to say, hang in there! and study what meg posted, and remember that it doesn't matter what supplements or meds you're on, if you're not removing milk from the breast, you won't make more. that is the key. and that needs to happen 10+ times per 24 hours! so that is your big challenge right now. and you can do it! keep us posted.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks ladies yes if i continue to see improvement over the next few days i will invest in hiring the electric pump it is like $200 or more though :O how do i know that the milk is effectivly removed ? I have just manual pumoed and hand pumped for 30 minutes and got like 8 mils :/ but comoared to 2 days ago i would get drops i get little sprays now. I do breast compression when manual pumping as well

Well, any improvement is a good sign when relactating. Remember, frequency is more important than how long you express milk each time. 8 times a day for 20 minutes is better than 4 times for 30 minutes, kwim?

Is this a hospital grade pump you rent? for how long do you get it for $200?

You get it for a month at that price, its $100 deposit, $25 a week & $100 for attachments etc.
    I was looking online at a couple spectra double pump & unimom. Would it be better to buy one of these ?

Ok so i just bit the bullet and bought a spectra 350 hospital grade double nursing system. It shouod be here on wednesday at the latest which means only 2-3 more days of manual pumping for me at the moment im only oumoing 6x per day and about 30 mins a time (15 mins oer boob) i cant do much more than that due to my other two kids and manual pumping is very time consuming. My little one has nursed a couple of times today but i still need to work on latch. Ill book in to see a lactation consultant as soon as i can. Im also calling the dr tomorrow to get the next available appointment to get the script for dom. Im hoping all this works as its cost a fair bit if it completely fails. Once i get the soectra i will pump about 8 times per day and a power pump before bed and try to pump at least once during the night as well as getting baby to feed when ever i can. If all else fails and i become an exclusive pumper im ok with that

woot! this sounds like you are absolutely on the right track. you can do this! along with all your pumpings that you keep nursing her a couple times a day as well, so you'll have an easier time transitioning to full time breastfeeding (WAY better in the long run than EPing).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.