Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Over thinking the process

Default Over thinking the process

This is my first post in here and so I thought i could get some tips. DD is 5days old and my milk is in she normally feeds on both sides each feeding but sometimes doesn't. Just wanted some tips and advise about feeding on both sides vs. on one side each feeding and still making sure my supply is good. Also when feeding on one side and then offer the other side and dd doesn't take on it very long then I start with that one the next feeding but I worry my milk won't be up to what she needs. This is my third but still have so many ?'s

Default Re: Over thinking the process

Hi mama, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new baby! How is nursing going? How does latch feel? Any problems? How has weight gain been? How many poopy diapers is baby having per day?

Sometimes newborns can be sleepy and need to be encouraged to wake up to feed. Here are some tips on waking a sleepy newborn: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf However, if baby is not sleepy, and, as you describe, has nursed on one side, briefly nurses on the other side and then stops, then she may simply be full. If weight gain and diapers are on track then this is perfectly fine. The key to keeping up supply is to nurse often - usually at least 10-12 times per 24 hours. Nurse when baby starts cuing; if it's been a couple hours offer even if baby doesn't cue! You can't offer too often. As your baby has already shown you, if she's full, she won't nurse. You can't overfeed a baby at the breast. I do agree that you should start with the breast you finish with on the previous feeding. And please feel free to ask any and all questions that come to mind!

Default Re: Over thinking the process

Good advice form the PP!

With young babies, it's often good to let them "finish the first breast first." This means you latch baby on to breast A and allow her to finish it at her own pace. When she either comes off of breast A or her sucking slows down and she seems to be falling asleep, you then offer breast B as dessert, not stressing if she doesn't take it or takes it only for a little while.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"