Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood & blood clot, safe to nurse?

Default Blood & blood clot, safe to nurse?

I have 10 week old twins, have been EPing and this week started switching to breastfeeding. I am still pumping at night and when I finished just now I noticed one bottle was bright red and one pinkish red. Well they were full of blood clots! I am so happy I was pumping and my babies didn't get that. I was only on the minimum setting so I was't pumping too hard.

Luckily I know a LC that was up and she said it's safe to nurse, but how is it safe? I am going for the freezer stash for now.
    Mom to 3 boys and loving it!
    J born 5/22/10, BF for 1 year
    N & L born 4/10/13

Default Re: Blood & blood clot, safe to nurse?

It's safe because it is just your blood. I know it sounds gross but it is safe to ingest blood. Even if you have a serious blood born illness, most of those are not transmitted via eating/digestion of blood.
    Some babies do not like the taste and a LOT of blood can possibly irritate the tummy, is my understanding. But it is not unsafe.

many babies ingest blood when nursing when mom has a nipple injury. it's quite common.

Totally safe. If you don't like the idea of feeding the milk to your babies, simply allow the bottle to settle in the fridge. The blood will sink to the bottom and you'll be able to pour off the clean stuff on top.

Bloody milk usually results from the breakage of a small blood vessel in the breast. This can happen during nursing or pumping, but is far more likely to happen nursing pumping because pumps tend to be less gentle than a nursing baby. The blood vessels in question are small, and typically break without pain and then heal by the next time you need to nurse or pump. So I wouldn't worry that your milk is now full of blood.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, pumping right now and no blood at all! So I will resume nursing
    Mom to 3 boys and loving it!
    J born 5/22/10, BF for 1 year
    N & L born 4/10/13

ps - most of the time one wouldn't even know there was a broken vessel, if one was nursing! doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and yes, perfectly safe! milk is actually a blood product anyway ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My lo spit up blood once, I called the er and they said it was probably from a burst blood vessel and to keep nursing!