Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help please

Question help please

I am just exhausted, my 9.5 month old DD is a nurseaholic, she wants to nurse all night long and it isn't just comfort nursing but nursing so much that my milk will let down at least once but sometimes twice while nursing! I was so excited when she started sleeping for 2 hours at a time but now we are back to every hour and a half, and I know 30 mins doesn't seem like a big difference but after being up every 2 hrs for 9.5 months I am wrecked!!! Also during the day she is super distracted while nursing.... Please help, I am not ready to wean her and we are not going to let her scream at night, fussing is one thing but she gets so upset when I don't go to her or nurse her that it can take 30 mins to calm her down... Thanks

Default Re: help please

Do you cosleep? If not, is it a possibility for you? My 10 month old likes to nurse a lot at night too, and although it's still exhausting, being able to latch her on and go to sleep has saved me.
    Is there any way you can get her to nurse more often during the day (maybe in a quiet, dark room)? I'm just wondering if you were able to get more calories in her during the day, she might give you a longer stretch at night?

Start with encouraging more daytime nursing and co-sleeping, if you're not doing it already. If that doesn't work, try moving your LO to her own room. If that doesn't work... IDK, just wait, I guess?

Sorry, mama, I know this is super-frustrating! BTDT.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If the above suggestions do not help, Something else to look into is the possibility of a 'medical' issue. While rare, some babies do experience allergic reactions to food their mothers eat, and of course, some have reactions to foods they themselves eat. My co-Leader discovered her child was reacting negatively to gluten, because she (baby) was so uncomfortable she just could not sleep longer than an hour or two, ever, even as a toddler. So mom and child had to go off gluten. Again, this is rare, but it happens.

We co sleep with her now and are trying to move her into her own crib... It isn't going well... I talked to her Dr yesterday, he suggested that maybe she has a very high metabolism and that it might be just habit... We are trying to make her nurse more during the day... Fingers crossed! Thanks ladies for your help and suggestions!!!!

I'd be willing to bet that she is nursing more often because you are trying to move her into her crib. Sounds like she isn't ready, and is feeling disrupted by change and looking for the comfort. I'd put off moving her for now and just focus on the two of you getting as much sleep as you can get. Are you able to sleep while she is nursing? That's been my only way of survival at times.

You mentioned she's distracted during the day. Could she be making up for it at night? Have you tried nursing her in daytime in a quiet, darkened room to minimize distractions and increase daytime feedings?