Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BFAR mommy needs help re: supply and other issues

Default BFAR mommy needs help re: supply and other issues

Hi all,

I'm BFing my second child. My supply is low due to previous breast reduction. I have been advised to pump after every feeding. I know DS doesn't fully drain my breasts, and I do get a fair amount when I pump after the feed. But it's HARD to BF, bottle feed for supplement, and then pump. Is this going to be a permanent thing, or is this only in the early weeks to get my supply going? He is just over 3 weeks now. I would have posted this in the "supply issues" forum but it looks completely dead. I really want to BF but I don't know how I'm going to be able to keep this up!

Thanks....

Default Re: BFAR mommy needs help re: supply and other issues

Welcome to the forum!

Some questions for you:
    - Were you able to nurse your first child, and if so, what degree of success did you have?
    - How much milk are you pumping out at this point?
    - How does nursing feel?
    - It sounds like you are using bottles- was supplementing via bottles something which was recommended due to low weight gain?
    - Have you had your baby's latch and nursing effectiveness evaluated by a LC or an IBCLC?
    - Can you give us some more information on the surgery- did it involve the nipple being severed and reattached?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was not able to nurse my first child. He was in the NICU, medicated, I had an emergency c-section and was under general anesthesia, he has neurological problems, etc, etc, etc.

If I do not feed before a pumping session I can pump about 2 ounces.

Nursing feels generally fine-my baby has a strong suck so I feel a strong tugging, but it doesn't hurt.

We started supplementing bc he was very obviously still hungry after nursing, and it was recommended-he had slight jaundice and wasn't passing meconium fast enough.

I went to an IBCLC at the lactation foundation today and she said that everything incl latch looked good and he was nursing effectively. He was weighed and took in 1.5 ounces at the feed.

The nipple was not severed and reattached, but it was moved higher. So I do have scars around the nipple, but as I said it wasn't severed.

I'm having a lot of trouble with nursing, bottle feeding, and then pumping. I really want to breastfeed, but it's starting to feel too hard and I feel tempted to give up. I don't know what to do.

HI bfar mommy. I see you are online now so I hope mommal does not mind if I jump in ….When you saw the IBCLC, did you tell her you were pumping and supplementing baby with bottles? What did she say about that?

I am asking because it sounds as if, from what the IBCLC observed, your baby is a able to extract milk, and you make milk. What did she say about the 1.5 ounce transfer?

a newborn baby normally has to nurse at least 10-12 times a day in order to get enough milk. That is ALL babies, from day one until at least about 6 weeks or so. Many longer.
    That is a lot! So baby will often want to nurse again right after a feed. Baby seems to be hungry all the time because baby typically IS hungry most of the time. But this is normal, and supplementing is only needed if baby is not gaining (or is loosing) weight.

As far as the jaundice and not passing merconium fast enough-so I assume this advice to supplement was given in baby’s first week of life? Now it is week 3! Time for this advice to be looked at again to see if it is still needed. Things change very rapidly in the early weeks. Milk production increases and baby gets better at nursing. So even when early supplementation is needed, it is often only needed for a few days.

My point is, maybe you can stop supplementing, or at least , cut back. If you can stop supplementing, you can stop pumping. So that is one possibility.

Even if baby needs a small amount of supplement, that would lessen how much (often) you have to pump.

OR, you could use a lactation aid, which allows baby to be supplemented at the breast. This would eliminate bottle feedings and you may even be able to pump less.

Or you could decide to nurse baby, supplement as needed, and stop pumping. The latter may not be the best course of action for your milk production, however, every mom has to find the path that will work best for her. And if you are careful to only supplement what baby needed (did not over supplement) then breastfeeding could well continue for a long time. Breastfeeding need not be all or nothing.

So, I think there are many options to explore before stopping breastfeeding entirely.

I would be interested in what the IBCLC said. IBCLC's are not doctors and cannot give advice counter to previously given medical advice, so if your baby's doctor told you to supplement in the first place, maybe you can check back in with your pediatrician?

Helpful books: Defining Your Own Success: Breastfeeding after Breast Reduction Surgery and (The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide to) Making More Milk.

have you visited this website? http://bfar.org/index.shtml