Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: both breasts?

Default both breasts?

My baby is two weeks old and feeding pretty well, but I have a question. I've gotten conflicting advice from books, pediatrician, and friends. Is it better to pull the baby off halfway through the feeding to switch breasts? Or is it better to let him feed as long as he will on one breast (to get more of the hind milk) and just switch breasts each feeding? Thanks!

Default Re: both breasts?

From what I understand, definitely let your lo go as long as s/he wants on the first, then switch if s/he still seems hungry. As time went on for my DS, I actually only fed him from one side at each feeding.

HTH

Lisa

I have always fed my both my kids from one side only, offering the other side only if they seemed hungry-most times they weren't. But, that's my advice-I tried to do the switching thing with my son, and found it just didn't work-he'd be nursing away, and I'd pull him off, just to wait for letdown on the otherside!!!

In the beginning, I made sure to offer both breasts at a feeding to get my milk supply up on both sides. I would nurse at least 15 minutes on one side, and then switch to the other side. LO was nursing all the time, though, so it really ended up being much longer on each side. He would nurse and nurse and nurse. It got to the point where I didn't even watch the clock anymore because he was nursing all the time anyway!

At around three months, we were mostly only feeding on one side each nursing session. I still let LO nurse as long as he would like on one side, then always offer the second breast just in case. But, he usually only needs one side, and even if he takes the other side, he feeds for a short while.

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

I don't think the people who are suggesting two breasts are encouraging you to pull him off while 'feeding' - are they? Even among those who advocate double-breasted feeding - the consensus is to let your LO 'finish' the first breast i.e. let them feed for as long as they are actively feeding and swallowing. Most babies will then break off naturally - some might carry on comfort sucking with a fluttery suck which is usually fairly distinctive. Then you could offer the second breast. I don't think 'two breast' advocates would suggest breaking off a baby who is actively feeding (as there is obviously the risk they will not reach the hindmilk).

Sam fell into a pattern of single-sided feeding which developed naturally for us and worked well but I know there are some benefits to your supply if you at least offer the second and there is some letdown, even if not a full feed. Just make sure the breast that didn't get the 'full chance' starts off next time.

I posted the same question not too long ago. My LO only feeds on one breast at a time except for rare occasions. I always let her finish the one breast (i.e. she unlatches herself). By then she's generally sleeping or has milk leaking out of her mouth, so I don't offer her the other breast. If the other breast is feeling particularly full, I just pump if I feel the need. Generally that's in the AM after going for longer periods of not feeding at night.

I still keep a little journal with me to keep track of feedings & diapers. Neurotic, I know. But I find it helpful to keep track of which side I fed her on last and what time she last fed. Also, I have a little charm that clips onto my bra so I can change it after a feeding and know which side to use next.

hi, congrats on yur baby!!
    In response to your question I usually let my lo stay on till he drops off, then try and wake him up for another breast. He is 4 weeks now, and it isn't uncommon fot him to go back and forth up to 4 times...