Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice with BM...????

Red face Rice with BM...????

Just a question.. I'll be returning back to work soon and if my DS doesn't get a straight sleeping schedule I was told by some Nurses.. that its okay to give a little bit of rice cereal with the BM..

The only reason why i ask this is B.C I will be alone with DS (DH works nights) and I need to be able to have enough rest in order to function at work ( I work in Oncology and I can't afford to be sloppy with my work).. what do you ladies think.. is it okay?? or should I just stick it out with DS and no sleep..

BTW my hours vary Between 8 -10 hr days..

Default Re: Rice with BM...????

DS is 7 weeks right now.. will be 8 weeks when I go back to work..

it is in your lo's best interest to not introduce ANY solid foods until 6 months of age!! I'm pretty sure the World Health Organization reccomends only breastmilk for the first 6 months and then breastmilk as the primary source of nutrition with the gradual introduction of solids AFTER six months for the first year of life. Don't give into the pressure. I know it's difficult...i had everyone and their brother telling me to mix rice cereal with bm to get my ds to sleep through the night, but you know what, it's just not good for them this early. I highly doubt it really helps all that much anyway for sleeping through the night. i'm sorry i don't have any links for you, but if you do a search here or maybe on google or something then you will get more REAL info. Anyway, i hth, and good luck with everything!!

I wouldn't try any solids, it is too early. My DD started to sleep through the night for 6-7 hours last week, she is now 2.5 months. The only thing that changed was that I consistently put her in the crib to sleep, instead of our bed, following the same ritual every night (bath, a little play, singing, Pjs and a kiss goodnight). She wakes up at between 4-6am, bf and back to sleep again, until 8-9am.
    I know it is hard to deal with sleepless nights and a demanding job,, I would advice you to improve his sleeping patterns. My ped said that usually babies start to sleep more hours continuously at nights at their 2nd-3rd month, although each baby is different.
    HTH

are you co-sleeping? That can help some moms get more rest.
    You can call your local lll leader for some more ideas about how to get some more sleep. And how to make your return to work easier on you and hubby.
    Some babies reverce cycle and nurse alot a night to make up for not being with you during the day. You'll both figure out something that works for you.

That is way too early in my opinion (and the opinion of the WHO, AAP, and pretty much every medical organisation worldwide). It's early even for the people who ignore the 6 months advice and are happy to start at 4 months. There is strong research which has concluded that very early solids can leave your baby vulnerable to a host of conditions and diseases including allergies and intestinal bleeding.
    I would honestly reconsider. I know it's hard to imagine going back to work but I would also question the assumption it will help. Rice cereal is very constipating and young babies are particularly vulnerable to extra gassiness and digestive discomfort when starting rice cereal. It made not a jot of difference to Sam's sleep at 6 months. Infact he often seemed more unsettled.

You'd also potentially be risking your milk supply and the amount of milk your baby consumes which at that age is obviously not recommended.

Sorry if I sound like I'm on a bit of a rant. I can completely appreciate why you'd be looking at options and you have my complete sympathy. I just think in this case the advice you were given is outdated (and a medical professional has a duty to keep up with recommendations from their professional bodies and the accompanying research) and to be honest potentially dangerous.

Co-sleeping would get my vote - your cycles will end up matching his and you will honestly find you are less tired - but there must be other options. Even if you consider giving a bottle of expressed milk just before bedtime to try and increase his intervals.

You can read more here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
    (non-LLL resource)
    Last edited by sam'smum; November 23rd, 2006 at 07:04 AM.

I agree with all the PP's about it being too early. But I think what you're really looking for might be how to help get more sleep. Co-sleeping works fairly well for us. (Other families, it doesn't). If you're having big issues with the sleep thing, I would recommend a book that I just got a hold of myself called "The No Cry Sleep Solution". I've tried lots of other things myself while figuring out this sleep thing, so far like I said co-sleeping is the best for us, but the sleep is still not where I would like it to be...although I haven't read this book in total yet, it seems really good, its not a "one size fits all" approach. I was recommended it by other women on this forum as well. Just an added thought. I hope you can figure out a way to balance everything so that it works well for you!
    Last edited by Nola; November 23rd, 2006 at 09:40 AM. Reason: clarify

Here is an excellent link on the cereal equals sleep myth:

Will giving solids at night help baby to sleep better?

The AAP recommends not starting solids until at least 6 months. See links below for more on solids in general. A baby's digestive system isn't mature enough to process solids until around 6 months.

As for rice cereal in a bottle ... it is highly discouraged by most doctors and health professionals (there are some rare cases where doctors will okay this practice for a baby with reflux, although studies have proven that this may not be effective). Putting cereal in a baby bottle is a no-no because they can choke. And because babies aren't meant to digest solids until their digestive tracts are fully formed. It also doesn't allow them to regulate their food intake when it's coming at them from a bottle ... it teaches them to overeat. You can read more about why cereal in a bottle is a "no-no" here:

Dr. Greene on Cereal in a Bottle
    Adding some cereal in the bottle

And then you might want to visit these wonderful links for information on starting solids, and why it's best to wait until at least 6 months:

Why Delay Solids?
    Solid food: Wait a Bit

When should my baby start solids?
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    How do we get started with solids?
    What if my 4-5 month old seems ready for solids?
    Solid food: Best Delayed

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months): World Health Organization, UNICEF, US Department of Health & Human Services, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, American Dietetic Association, Australian National Health and Medical Research Council, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, Health Canada

The second source above (Solids: Wait a bit) states:

"Even one exposure to a formula or cereal causes changes in a young baby's body, and can trigger allergies that might have been avoided. Young babies have very low levels of an enzyme important to starch digestion, so early cereal may be filling, but it isn't effective food. Early fruits or vegetables can interfere with iron absorption. And studies indicate that babies sleep through the night when they're ready, not when they start solids.

The older guidelines that recommend starting solids "at 4 to 6 months" include formula-fed babies and those few breastfed infants whose growth is truly faltering. For the baby who is doing well on breastmilk alone, early solids may replace a complete, well-digested food with an incomplete, poorly digested one, and can lead to obesity, allergies, and even anemia. There are good reasons to wait until about 6 months, especially if there are allergies in the family."

Hope this helps! And I wish you luck on going back to work and getting some much needed sleep. I think the other posters suggestions to co-sleep is an excellent one!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

We've been giving my LO (7 weeks) rice in one bottle each day as recommended by her pediatricon for reflux. It seems to be helping with keeping the milk down and it's such a small amount in a days time. She sleeps well.... she goes down each night around 10pm and wakes to feed anytime between 2-3am then its back to bed till around 6am. I know its subject to change any day now but the rice could be helping with the sleeping as well. Ask your peditricion.

My DS is 7 weeks old and sleeps from 11 pm till 5 or even 6 am and that is without cereal. I would highly recommend you not give any form of solid foods, including rice cereal to your baby before the recommended 6 months.Sleeping better through the night really doesn't have a lot to do with what they are eating, but something that just comes with time and varies from child to child.