Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: age and eating frequency

Default age and eating frequency

my baby is in her 8th month, and starting to bite in place of times she would normally eat. I see 2 reasons for it-She currently has two teeth coming in so I know that she could be biting and eating less due to that. Another reason she is biting because she's not into wanting to eat at that moment, or is done, as she becomes more independent. This has gone one for a couple of days so who knows, it could go away.
    I have always aimed to feed her 8-10 times, 8 at the very least a day. (I count from her wakeup to midnight. she eats 2 times after that which I don't include) With her eating a bit less frequently the past few days I am concerned as I don't feed her much solids.
    My question is, would she drop her feeds down a little now that she is older? Should I be less concerned about aiming for 8-10 feeds? She doesn't eat many solids. A very small amount every couple of days so solids aren't filling her up.

Default Re: age and eating frequency

Is there some particular reason you are actively encouraging a certain number of nursing sessions per day rather than nursing when your child wishes?
    Most healthy children eat because they are hungry, and will nurse for hunger, thirst, and comfort. In other words, usually a baby will nurse "enough" on their own. It never hurts to offer, but if baby is not interested at the moment what is your concern?
    Yes generally a child may normally nurse less often as they get older even if not taking in lots of solids. This does not always happen but it certainly can and be normal.

She comes to work w me 3 days a week and is highly distracted and definitely is happy that I remind her But actually, I offer when she normally wants to when we are home. I don't interrupt her playing to offer or anything, but I can just tell when she's wanting to for whatever reason. I had to keep track of the frequency in the beginning because our schedule interrupts her rhythm, now I suppose it's a habit.
    About the biting, she stopped doing it for the most part but will do it when she's not wanting to nurse but chew on stuff....hello teething ring!!! I posted this initially because I noticed that her weight is on the lower end and was starting to internally freak out if she eats less then she won't gain well.

I freaked out a bit at the decrease in my son's nursing frequency around this age, too! It seems like a common age for infants to be just to busy to nurse. Growth is also much slower than before so really less is required. Our sessions picked right back up when his molars began coming in. It sounds like you know how to read your baby's cues. Just keep going with the flow.