Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overactive "letdown" even without oversupply?

Default Overactive "letdown" even without oversupply?

I have an overactive "letdown" even when my breast feels soft... My 6week old daughter has blood in stool (microscopic) and very gassy, fussy, reflux.... We know she has food intolerances so it makes it harder to say what's bothering her. I can't get milk flow to slow where she can handle it better and swallow less air too. The issue is it doesn't necessarily happen at letdown. It sprays or flows too fast at varying times, usually when I don't even feel like much is coming out. So the only way I know it happens is if she starts chocking or if she just pulls off and I see it spraying or pouring out. I have tried and continue to block feed (I have done this since she was maybe 5 days old) sometimes ill feel full and sometimes I don't, I try side lying but she always spits up more and is much gassier (maybe not getting out enough air or she just swallows a lot more), reclined or lying flat on my back nursing.... I'm sure other things I just can't think of right now. I don't know how to fix this. I pumped and husband tried to give her a bottle but she SCREAMED, so that didn't work and I really don't want to have to exclusively pump unless absolutely have to. (I have a almost 2 year old and I already have a hard time playing with him enough since caring for her). She seems to want to nurse often and the milk I did pump had very little fat in it. Has anyone ever give lactase enzyme directly to baby instead of in breastmilk bottle? I'm already on a very restricted diet and very hungry so if I could get this under control I will have one les thing out I the way as I not confuse this with other food issues.

Default Re: Overactive "letdown" even without oversupply?

Also, I do pull her off when I feel a heavy letdown but like I said its not only or always at letdown when it gets her.

Default Re: Overactive "letdown" even without oversupply?

It's very possible to have fast letdowns and normal supply. It's often not so much about the absolute speed of the letdown as it is about the baby's ability to handle milk flow. A young baby who is still not a super-adept nurser may have difficulty handling even an average milk flow.

That being said, it sounds like you're still experiencing a lot of things that suggest oversupply- like seeing milk spraying or streaming, bloody poops, and very thin-looking pumped milk. You also mention that your feel like you have overactive letdown even when your breast feels soft- which implies that you still feel full or engorged pretty often, correct?

Definitely don't get into pumping and bottle-feeding unless you have no other option- for example, if you have a baby who cannot nurse. I know a lot of women who have exclusively pumped and believe me, it is NOT easier than nursing. The time you're spending right now is nothing compared to the time you'd be spending if you were EP- bottle-washing alone is a huge chunk of your day, and pumping can consume literally HOURS of time. You think it's tough finding time for your 2 year-old right now- imagine finding time for him while not only diapering, cuddling, and feeding your newborn but also spending about 20-30 minutes every 2-3 hours chained to the pump. Nursing freqeuntly is a walk in the part, in comparison!

How has baby's weight gain been so far?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"