Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traumatized with Lyme Disease

Default Traumatized with Lyme Disease

Hi my daughter is 18 mos and I still breastfeed her and I love and cherish it. So when I found out I have lyme disease I realized my worst fears were coming true that I would be forced to abruptly stop something I had worked hard for, and needed, and cherished. I had always planned to let my daughter decide when she wanted to stop.

When I was in the emergency room and they told me I broke down crying not because I was upset at having the disease but that they told me the “gold standard" treatment for lyme disease meant tetracycline which meant no breastfeeding. But I insisted I wanted a breastfeeding safe antibiotic even though to me they are all questionable so they gave me Augmentin. Which turns out is just as good as the tetra now. So I could continue to breastfeed. But this is bittersweet I pride myself on taking anything while breastfeeding because I don’t anything passing to her now that's all out the window???

They also told me that the lyme disease does not pass in my milk, their has been no documented cases but that just doesn't seem to really quell my fears. I don't know exactly how long I had the disease and I was breastfeeding all along. Even though we caught it early I could have had it for two weeks or more their is no way to gauge when I got it since I never knew I was bitten all we know is that it was "early."

This has all taken a huge emotional toll on me which few people close to me understand. I hear a lot of "just stop breastfeeding, she's had it for 18 months you've done more than enough." These comments really get to me and they make me feel like I'm nuts for caring so much about my breastfeeding experience with my daughter. But what really hurt was the interruption in my bond with my daughter when I started to feel somewhat better she was a little distant. Before she had been nuzzling into my breast but then she began to jump off like she didn't want to get too close. She was hurt by the change in my behavior by me being sick and didn't understand. Which now while still feeling sick I have to work for all over again. And it’s hard to do that when I want to try to cut down on some feedings because how much of the medicine is passing? I feed about 4 or 5 times in 24 hours.

Anyway the advice I am looking for is has anyone on here taken Augmentin while breastfeeding? They say only minute quantities pass through my milk but I still worry about the buildup and what effect it could have long term. They also give this medication to children that is why they said it’s safe. But it’s still class b and she is not sick. Would you have stopped breastfeeding? Would she self-wean if I stopped for three weeks? Or would she go back, like some people claimed?

Sorry for all the question it’s just the joy has gone out of it because I have to worry about what might be happening to her.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by @llli*skarrlette; June 20th, 2013 at 07:11 AM.

Default Re: Traumatized with Lyme Disease

Mama, please don't beat yourself up because you have to take an antibiotic! It's really not a big deal. The quantity that comes through in your milk is very small, and the absolute worst it can do to your kid is give her a bit of gastrointestinal disturbance, and that's not even likely in my experience. Give her some probiotics and she will be fine. Actually, even if you don't give her the probiotics she will be fine! Plenty of us have taken antibiotics- many of which are much stronger than Augmentin- while nursing, and our kids haven't had a moment of distress from it. It's way worse to see mama suffering and sick!

I encourage you to let go of your pride over not taking anything while nursing. First of all, most of the things we moms worry about coming through our milk are just not a big deal. Take an aspirin. Have a drink once in a while. Take the antibiotics if you need them! And second, being a breastfed baby or toddler is worth the price of some incidental exposure to whatever weird things are in your milk from time to time. It's not like a single pill makes your milk worthless. It just paints a slightly more complex biochemical picture for your child's body to figure out. And finally, the amount you are nursing isn't that huge, and your kid is a toddler. It's not like your baby is a brand-new newborn with a really fragile digestive system, who is totally reliant on your milk.

If you're worried about your child getting Lyme through your milk- which you should not be- then get her tested. If you live in a Lyme-heavy area, it's probably a very good idea to get your kid a test every year or so anyway, because a lot of people get Lyme without ever noticing that they had an attached tick. Those deer ticks are TINY!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I took Augmentin a couple months ago for an ear infection - my LO was about a year old at the time. It gave ME diarrhea but not my LO! I agree with mommal that very little gets passed in the milk. You might want to call InfantRisk http://www.infantrisk.com/ to get more detailed information, both about the antibiotic and the possibility of Lyme disease transmission.

I'd take the Augmentin and never look back, nursing with the same tenderness and excitement as always. You're a good mother.

There's a blogger with the handle People I Want to Punch in the Throat. I would want to punch - in the throat - anyone who said 'just stop breastfeeding'. I've been breastfeeding my LO for 11 months now (since birth) and I can see what a nightmare I'd be facing if I just tried to stop. From engorgement to taking away her primary method of soothing, to teething pain relief through the relief of oxytocin to the critical activity that drives naps/night sleep, etc.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

My daughter is 16 weeks old. I have taken Keflex for mastitis, Augmentin and Clyndomicin for an infected salivary gland and I will be having surgery with general anesthesia on July 19.
    I went through all of the emotions you are going through each time and despite my dr, my pediatrician and the ladies on here telling me my Lo would be fine the absolute best thing i did was call infant risk.
    They were extremely helpful, explained everything to me about how the medicine passes, the minute amounts etc.
    and just an FYI- they told me that probiotics for infants had not been studied enough for them to recommend giving one to my daughter. They said as long as I am taking one she will be okay and to just look out for diarrhea. Not sure if that applies to older babies?
    My biggest concern was the exposure to multiple antibiotics when my daughter was perfectly healthy. The gentleman i spoke to at infantrisk said the amounts that actually pass to her are not high enough for her to develop an immunity.
    I hope this helps!

Many, many of us have taken antibiotics while breastfeeding. In fact, I took more antibiotics (including Augmentin) while breastfeeding than at any other time in my life. Probably something to do with having small children who bring home a gazillion germs and then use you as a walking Kleenex. So. Much. Strep.

According to Hale, Augmentin is one of the safest antibiotics for breastfeeding.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Sorry for taking so long to respond thanks for all your responses, it makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one taking meds while breastfeeding and feeling disappointed about it. I did so well for so long 18 mos and nothing till know. I feel somewhat like a failure. And I am still concerned no matter what they tell me. Because what are the side effects really how can they be sure. And I can't just stop breastfeeding. For example they say they won't give tetracycline to a young baby because it can slow bone growth? So I worry about what they really know about Amox and clav. My anitbiotic is a combination of Amoxicillian and Clavulanate potassium (Augmentin). The clav they say they don't know how much passes. The amox very little. I have also noticed some red bumps on her back and wonder is she having an allergic reaction. I was told that only minute amounts pass through the milk but yet she may be reacting. Also I worry about her teeth getting discolored with augmentin.

Nervous mother
    Last edited by @llli*skarrlette; June 28th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.

yes i feel you and understand why you feel that way. people don't realize what a bond it turns into its a way of life for the time it lasts. its so precious for some mothers. its like the air we breathe. so when i hear comments like that i know they don't understand and it really bothers me. its so much more than what they think.

As someone who seems to have a ridiculous amount of ticks in my yard (we have found them in our bed on more than one occasion) and what my husband calls "Justified Tick Paranoia," I constantly fear going up against what you're going through. But I know numerous people (too many) that have had Lyme Disease, and it can be so very dangerous and cause lasting health problems. One woman I know has permanent drooping on the side of her face and a man I know has lost a good deal of short-term memory capability. I know you are worried (as I would be) about the antibiotics and the transfer of the disease, but please know that if Infant Risk has given the okay you are doing the best you can for your nursing relationship. I had to take antibiotics while pregnant and I was very upset and had the same fears as you; then recently I had to take them again while nursing. But my doctors in both cases said the risk of danger to my health outweighed the minor risk that could be caused by the antibiotics. Your LO can't have a mommy with chronic compromised mobility or mental functioning, as that would be bad for her, as well. Soon you will be off the antibiotics and your milk will no longer feel compromised.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.