Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OK... so cycle returned or not? WTHeck is going on?

Default OK... so cycle returned or not? WTHeck is going on?

Hello ladies

So... I thought my cycle returned, about 2 weeks after my DD 1st birthday, which was about 2 weeks ago (around June st). I had some spotting for about 3 days, so I called it a period.

Today, I noticed I'm spotting again... so... I am not sure if my cycles are now irregular (is this another period?) or if it is just that, spotting, and my cycle hasn't returned at all...

Could be something else? Should I be concerned and call my doctor for a check up?

I guess after being acustomed to having regular cycles, I am expecting it to be the same way now... I don't know... It's my first child so I am clueless about what I should expect!!

Thanks!

Default Re: OK... so cycle returned or not? WTHeck is going on?

Are you taking any form or hormonal contraception? Trying to conceive? The reason I ask is that breakthrough bleeding/spotting is really common with hormonal contraception and implantation spotting often occurs with pregnancy. Some women will experience a little spotting around the time they ovulate, so that's an additional possibility.

Since you've had your cycle back for such a short time, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from what you're experiencing. It's very typical for your first few postpartum cycles to be weird- longer, shorter, heavier, or lighter than your prepregnancy norm. Give things a few months to settle down before you call the doc- unless, of course, the bleeding continues for significantly more than a week or is accompanied by other worrisome symptoms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Not taking contraceptives nor trying o conceive. My Dr prescribed some contraceptives but I never start taking them. I had bad side effects with the contraceptives I took before so we decided to do a natural method for not getting pregnant.

Now that I think about it I should have taken the contraceptives... Since my cycle probably won't be normal for a while and we really don't want to get pregnant right now...

I never spotted when ovulating before. So... I guess I should take a pregnancy test sometime in the next couple of weeks. Is it possible to get pregnant on the first cycle post partum??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*leemami View Post
    Is it possible to get pregnant on the first cycle post partum??
    Yes, totally possible. Many women become pregnant without ever having a postpartum period, because it's normal to ovulate and be fertile before you have a period.

I wouldn't choose to take hormonal contraception if I had bad side effects from it. Not when there are plenty of other reliable non-hormonal options! If you're not pregnant and you want to discuss those methods, let us know!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Exact same thing happening here (18 mo pp). I thought I had my period (although it was dark and kind of thick..sorry, TMI), then it vanished after a day, only to return acouple of weeks later heavier and brighter red than "normal". Gone again, then random spotting. I'm assuming my body is just trying to get its groove back
    So proud to be Avery's mama 12/26/11

So... bringing this post back... (sorry if that's something not usually done in the forum!)

Went to the Dr. since spotting didn's stop and... yup, positive pregnancy test! I posted a looooong post in the Breastfeeding and Pregnancy forum, just if y'all wanna take a look at it

Anyway, it just seems so early, DD is not even 14 months old...