Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Improvement after tongue tie release?

Default Improvement after tongue tie release?

I am currently nursing 6 1/2 week old twins. Both latched on in the recovery room and have been transferring milk well but have caused me a good amount of pain. We had their anterior tongue ties clipped by an ENT when they were 2 weeks old. Unfortunately things did not really get any better. The IBCLC I am working with referred me to a pedi dentist and we were seen last Friday during which both babies had posterior tongue ties and lip ties lasered.

My question is about when I might be able to expect things to get better? The latch of my bigger baby hurts more than that of my little one. The pain is worst at latch on and is generally tolerable throughout the rest of the feeding as long as I have Aleve in my system. I really want to be able to stop taking meds just so I can breastfeed pain free.

I had a horrible experience with my daughter and was in so much pain and had so much ongoing damage that I ended up exclusively pumping with her for 5 months until I was able to get her back to the breast at 8 months old. Thankfully it did end up ok and I was able to nurse her until she was over 13 months old. In hindsight I wonder if she had a PTT as well since we only had an anterior tongue tie release. At the time, the ENT told me there was no such thing as a posterior tongue tie. My pain with my boys is so much less than it was with her but it still is by no means comfortable.

I fully intend to push through this and I want to EBF the boys at almost all costs but am hoping that I don't have to go through months of pain before it gets better again. My milk supply is good and I am pumping twice a day just to help make sure it gets maintained while we are figuring this out and am able to freeze about 10 ounces a day. I have a fast letdown so the boys are able to transfer milk without issue thankfully and are gaining well with lots of wets and dirties.

I would love to hear from moms that have had similar situations and just hear how long it took for things to get better. Were there any additional steps you took to encourage things to improve? Is there anything else I can be doing to help things along?

Thank you so much
    Kristen

Default Re: Improvement after tongue tie release?

Has nobody on this forum gone through a posterior tongue tie release??

I had my DD's PTT and ULT lasered at 9 weeks. I can't really answer your question about how long it took to get better - we were dealing with undiagnosed thrush at the same time, so unfortunately it wasn't quite the miracle I had hoped for! One of my LLL leaders gave me some good little exercises to do to sort of relax her jaw a bit -it seemed like she could never open her mouth wide enough. I would use my finger to trace along the front, and then the backs of her gums, and she would follow it with her tongue. I would also lightly massage her jaws with a bit of coconut oil, as well as her hamstrings, and lightly stretch them. I know it sounds a little crazy, but it was suggested to me that if her legs were tight, so was her back, her neck, and her jaw, etc. I swear, it did help! I was also so desperate by that point that I was willing to try anything. Other than treating the thrush, it just took a bit of time for her mouth to get bigger.

Is there any possibility you've got thrush? I assume you had a c-section from your talk of the recovery room and therefore antibiotics.

Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure I don't have thrush as I had it several times with my daughter and it doesn't feel like it did with her and the babies aren't showing any signs. I did have antibiotics including a course about 2 weeks afterwards for an infection but I was vigilant about taking probiotics and grapefruit seed extract and eating yogurt and sitting topless in the sun every day and didn't develop thrush thankfully!! Having been through it before I wanted to do anything I could to avoid it!!

I am sorry it wasn't the miracle you had hoped for. Things have gotten a little better in the last couple of days and I am at least able to nurse without having to have advil on board so that's a huge improvement already. I may just have to give it a little more time so they can get bigger. My little guy doesn't seem to hurt me as much as my bigger dude.

buckeyebabe I think you did not get more responses because you were looking specifically for someone with a similar exp. I know I read your post and decided to wait until you got what you asked for! Then of course your thread was buried under a flurry of new threads.

We have certainly had mothers on here whose babies were treated for tongue tie, but moms tend to come and go from the forums as needed. If anyone knows of a mom buckeyebabe can PM, can you let her know? Also, if anyone knows how to thread mine maybe we can find one of those tt threads.

Just a few days ago someone posted a link for a facebook page for moms with babies with tongue tie. If someone can find that can they post for buckeyebabe?

Generally, here is the deal with tongue tie. If tongue tie was the ONLY issue with latch, and it is clipped very early on, you get more of those results of instant pain relief for mom. Unfortunately, there are often complicating factors. Baby has other anatomical barriers related to tt, like high palate. Baby has learned to compensate for the tt and now needs to relearn tongue usage. Baby/mom have other factors that are causing latch pain. etc. So there is simply no way to answer your question.

You may suspect that the tt needs to be reassessed (sometimes it takes more than one frenotomy to fix the issue) If so, do that. Otherwise, I would suggest, be sure to keep doing any exercises you were given to improve latch and reduce the risk of scar tissue issues, and keep trying all other types of positioning and latch ideas that help with painful latch in general. Remember the vast majority of painful latch issues do not involve tongue tie, so now that your babies’ tt is ‘fixed’ you can approach this as anyone else would who is dealing with painful latch.

Some mothers find that cranio-sacral or bowen ‘therapy’ or even chiropractic care helps. This might be something to discuss with your IBCLC.