Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: block feeding

Default block feeding

Hi i am doing 2 hour block feeding because i have an over supply of breast milk. what i wanted to know was when my son sleeps for more than 2 hrs on one side my breast gets engorged. Should i wake him up or feed him? Or what should i do? Ice, hand express? please help!

Default Re: block feeding

Is he sleeping on your breast for more than two hours? or it's just been two hours since he last ate?

Way too lazy for formula

Hi. He will feed one time between 4-6pm on the right and skip a whole feeding between 6-8pm on the left. Feed on the right once between 8-10pm.So then the next time I feed him on the left it would 10-12am. Meaning 4 hrs would go by and I'm engorged on the left.

When you are block feeding you want to still avoid engorgement. You want to feel FULL, to give your body the message to slow done milk production, but not over full or engorged.

So, either encourage baby to nurse, or hand express or pump 'too comfort" To relieve the pressure.

Also, how old is baby? Are you block feeding under the care of an IBCLC? Was baby gaining at least 8 ounces a week?

Block feeding WILL reduce milk production. It is very effective. So it is important mom is sure she really has overproduction issues (not just forceful letdown issues) that cannot be relieved other ways before block nursing.

Thank you for responding!

so when i encourage my baby to nurse, should i feed the engorged breast that is not with in its time block?

my baby is 6 weeks today. Yes, i am feeding under the care of an IBCLC. she was the one who told me about feed blocking because i had both fast let down and said i was making milk for triplets! I have not checked his weight but i know he has plenty of poops and pees a day. He will have a dr appt this fri.

I was making too much milk because before i left and was discharged from the hospital the nurse told me to feed my baby 10min/10min and then pump for 15 min after. But, they never told me when to stop. THis lead me to oversupply and fast let down. So, the IBCLC who is also from la leche recommend i do the block feeding. So far my breasts are not so engorged when he feeds consistently. But, when he skips one breast within the 2 hours i fill up quick.

So, my question was if he skips a feeding during the the time block which would be the opposite breast. How do i treat the overly full or engorged breast? i have tried ice, cabbage, and hand expression. Cabbage does not work for me, ice works a little bit, and i can hand expression but im not sure when i expressed too much. Or i dont want to overly express to signal my brain to create more.

please help thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*popeye; June 23rd, 2013 at 11:13 AM.

I suggest, don't go by time so strictly. Go by how you feel. Its not entirely about how long you go not nursing on one side. It's about how full that breast gets while baby nurses on the other. You want some good fullness, that tells the body to slow down production, but you do NOT want to get truly engorged. That is dangerous.

Baby may want to nurse very often, or baby might take a long sleep stretch. Many moms produce more on one side than the other, so they must do a different length of time not nursing depending on the side. Some mothers start feeling full in an hour, others it takes 2 or 3. ALL these variances should be considered, so go more by how you feel. Make sense?

more info on oversupply and block nursing

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ggrimacing.pdf

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

http://cwgenna.com/blockfeeding.html

ok. that sounds relieving to that one breast. I just didn't want to signal my brain to make more because the purpose of the blockfeeding was to reduce milk production.

I know, it's a fine line you have to walk, but you really want to avoid engorgement as that can lead to plugs and mastitis. Block feeding will still work even if you give the breast relief as needed.

thank you. i hope this will resolve itself and my son and i can nurse normally/frequently and soon be on a schedule.

When you say you hope you and your baby can soon be on a schedule, what sort of schedule are you thinking of?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"