Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning, mild pain in one breast

Default weaning, mild pain in one breast

my son is 28 months old and the last time he bf was 6/15. we have only been nursing in the am for the past 6 months probably. i am ready to wean so i am distracting him and he is doing fine. i am now feeling some mild pain in my right breast ( his fav) do i need to worry about plugged ducts, mastitis or anything like that? i've never had anything like that before. is this mild discomfort a normal process? i am not engorged, my breasts are soft and the pain is like the breast pain you may experience when you are having your cycle or early in pregnancy....
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Default Re: weaning, mild pain in one breast

You should be on the lookout for plugged ducts/mastitis. They often crop up when mama is in the weaning process, though you have given yourself the absolute best chance of avoiding them by weaning so slowly. So just stay alert for worsening pain, red streaks/patches on the skin of the breast, fever, chills, lumps, and increasing pain. If you see any of those, it's time to start removing milk from the breast, either using hand expression or pumping or a nursing baby, and to call the doc and discuss antibiotics. Taking milk out of the breast would thwart your weaning plans, but when you are balancing mastitis against weaning, you treat the mastitis first and worry about weaning second.

Al that being said, I am guessing that this is simply soreness related to your cycle or... perhaps... to pregnancy?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: weaning, mild pain in one breast

my clycle is not due for another 10 days or so. i did have signs of fertility over the weekend, maybe i'm ovulating. i thought it may be normal to be somewhat sore b/c they do feel heavy and full but not engorged or hard... if i don't get my period i will test but i dont' think i could be prego... i will def look out for s/s of mastitis.
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11