Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusively breastfed & low weight

Default Exclusively breastfed & low weight

Hello,

we have a 17 months old daughter (born one month early) that is exclusively breastfed and we'd like to continue doing so until 2 years old or a little bit more. Everything has been fine until now, but she hasn't gained weight for months. She weights 8kg that is 17lb. She looks fine and normal but the charts seem to indicate that her weight is at the minimum. My wife tries to make the baby empty both breasts (which seems to be the case most of the time) but sometimes the baby wants to go from one breast to the other quite fast.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Default Re: Exclusively breastfed & low weight

we have a 17 months old daughter (born one month early) that is exclusively breastfed and we'd like to continue doing so until 2 years old or a little bit more.
    By exclusively breastfed, do you mean your child eats no solid food?

she only thing she eats is her mothers milk, no solid or liquid food at all

Is this because your child refuses other foods (solids) or you do not offer other foods to her?

Is her pediatrician concerned about her weight or health?

Is there a reason you are only giving the 17 month old breast milk? Was this recommended by a doctor? By another medical expert? Is it something you & your partner believe best? Is this a community tradition or belief? Or is your child physically unable to take solids? It's hard to answer your question about weight gain without knowing more.

I am not equipped to give medical advice but it is my understanding that after a year the baby makes a gradual transition from EBM to solids. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding has a wonderful saying, though I'm paraphrasing: Before the first year, nursing for sustenance and solids for fun. After the second year and beyond, solids for sustenance and nursing for fun (and love).
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.