Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possible to maintain supply with only 1 breastfeed a day??

Default Possible to maintain supply with only 1 breastfeed a day??

I understand the concept of supply and demand but is it possibly to maintain supply if only BF once a day? I've had a reduced supply from the start because of a breast reduction and have been supplementing from day one. Even when I was pumping 9+ times a day with BF I was only able to get at most 8 oz a day. Now at 10 months I pump about 4 oz a day and my son goes on the breast only to fall asleep at night and his 2 naps...not sure if he's getting a substantial amount or not but its comforting to him and maintains a nursing relationship for me.

I am returning to work at the 12 month mark and have chosen not to continue to pump. My question is if I only BF my son before bed and in the morning (if he will) will i maintain any sort of supply or will it mostly just be for comfort? I am wondering if I should just wean him off the breast completely or keep up with the sleep BF?

Thoughts?

Default Re: Possible to maintain supply with only 1 breastfeed a day

As long as you continue to nurse, and the baby continues to do a decent job of removing whatever milk there is from the ready, you will maintain supply. If you're just nursing once per day, the supply is likely to be minimal- a couple of swallows, perhaps. But that's not nothing! And as milk dries up (through a process called mammary involution), it changes so that it contains more protein and more immune factors. Think of the milk that is produced at the end of lactation as nature's way of giving your child a final boost for his still-developing immune system!

Even if you completely lost supply, nursing would continue to be a useful mothering tool for getting your child down for sleep, and for soothing things like illness, skinned knees, and teething. I wouldn't give that tool up for anything!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi mama, many working mothers stop pumping at a year and continue feeding on demand at other times. The nice thing about baby turning one is that you have other options besides formula - for example, if you want to switch over to cow's milk. Certainly whatever milk he continues to receive from you is beneficial, as is simply nursing! So no reason to wean out of fear of your supply drying up, you know? That's great that you've nursed your baby for 10 months so far!
    Last edited by @llli*bfwmomof3; June 17th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

My son is 4 1/2 and has been nursing once a day (at bed time) for a long time now (several months at least) and he says there is still milk coming. He knows the differnce as he also told me he no longer uses the right one as nothing comes out (so it must have dried up as he rarely used it before that for quite a while). I never had a bountiful supply, never managed to pump at all in fact. He nurses left breast only now and sometimes I think I can actually feel that there still is some.

My personal experience is as long as he nurses something comes. So it really depends on you if you want to continue.

Thank-you for the replies, they are very reassuring. Yes I would like to continue even if it is just to put my son to sleep as he has never really fallen asleep without nursing except for in the car. It is just nice to know that he will also be getting some milk even if it is just a little. I wish he was old enough to tell me if he is getting any or not like yours Mammi! I just feel like I would like to stop pumping soon, I am still pumping 4 + times a day and not even getting a full bottle cumulative. Plus he is eating more and more solids and barely drinking formula during the day. I just am so scared to stop pumping but keeping him nursing for naps and bedtime is reassuring. Is there any other way to tell if he is getting any milk while nursing? He swallows but he also swallows with a pacifier lol!

I can't really say anythign about the pumping as I never pumped (it just did not work at all, i tried).

But what has helped me most to determine whether he in fact got any milk (as this was an issue for me all the time right from the start, my supply was not that great and lots of other issues) were the videos on Dr Jack Newman's website and there i saw the way their chin moves/pauses in a particular way. And this I could also see my son doing.
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13