Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 29 hours old and nipples are cracking and so very sore

Default Re: 29 hours old and nipples are cracking and so very sore

Nipple shields are more typically useful for when a baby has difficulty latching at all, not when baby can latch but it hurts mom. Sometimes they help for that, but often, not.

Tried without it today and she was swallowing some and I noticed my breasted feel like they are fuller but not engorged.
    This sounds good, normal...

How is it going? Have you been able to see an IBCLC yet?

I went to see a lc today. She said my latch was good from the outside and she was swollowing like crazy and she was making strange sounds when swollowing. When I pulled my nipple out I was like it was creased right down the middle and lipstick shaped. She said that because its down the middle its her tongue pushing funny on it and she found a tongue tie that was deeper. I am seeing someone tomorrow who does tongue ties and hopeofully get it resolved.
    she was swollowing so much but only got 1/2oz out. So I wonder if she cant get it out well. My milk I guess is in because she is looping yellow seedy but I don't feel full or engorged. Guess that's not abnormal either as long as she gets milkweed. She at a total of an oz while at the appt. I started using the gel pads and those feel good and better than nursing pads.

Not sure if I missed anything

I think 1/2 to 1 oz could be normal milk transfer per session for this age. baby is less than a week old right? Yes of course tongue tie will impact how well baby can extract milk, but she IS getting something. Good news! Yes assuming baby nurses with good frequency it is normal to not feel engorged even after your milk becomes more abundant. Poops sound good...any weight gain yet?

Well my nipples are bleeding now. Dread the next feeding.... she ate every hour at night and gained. 2 oz from yesterday. Now she is sleeping and eating every 3 hours. I should wake her but I know what awaits me. Hope tomorrow she gets the clip and it helps. I know I will not heal unless they stop being smashed. She is 4 days old.

Even after 3 hours I don't feel full. Hope my milk keeps increasing so she can go at least 2 hours between feedings. Or that it does not hurt because I don't mind feeding her. I love to hold her and watching her eat

I do hope that the TT release helps! I'm pretty sure my DD1 had a posterior tie, and it was extremely difficult to nurse her, especially in the beginning when her mouth was so small. I just want to encourage you to keep going- even if you don't get the TT released it's very possible that your LO will grow out of her issue and be able to nurse well- that's what happened with my kid, anyway. It just took 5 months!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If your 4(?) day old baby gained 2 ounces in one day exclusively breastfeeding you do not have to worry about your breasts feeling full. This is twice the average weight gain (average for once milk becomes more abundant) so you obviously have milk and baby is getting it. I suspect you are not feeling full because baby is extracting milk with normal, high frequency. Also, your milk is not completely "in" yet nor should it be. The transition from colustrum to full production of 'mature' milk takes weeks, although by far the biggest jump in amount of milk produced occurs in the first 7-10 days.

Baby this age wanting to nurse with extreme frequency is just normal. You are having the pain and damage because the latch is off, NOT because baby is nursing with normal frequency.

The key to fixing this is fixing latch. If that means getting the tongue tie treated, then do it. It is not always an instant fix, so make sure you are given follow-up care instructions, exercises, and continue to see an IBCLC for fine tuning. Yes, once latch is better, baby may nurse less frequently. But baby taking longer breaks between feeding is not going to stop nipple damage. Fixing the latch WILL.

Went to see someone for the tongue tie and she has a small posterior one. She recommended nipple rest for 24 hours abed work on the latch to see if it changes because no matter what my nipples are too damaged. Will go in in 3-4 days if its not improved. Also have exercises. To do.

Not sure because I pumped like 14 hours and I am still sore and now I think I have. A clogged duct. How long do I have to get it unclogged before it turned into mastitisq?

My nipple likes like a lipstick but its like its creased in half and the bottom half is like the flat part of the lopsitck and the top half is bulging nipple tissue. Cant explain it.

Had to give her formula because I cant pump enough. Only 1/2 oz out of one and 3/4 every 2 hours.

Who did you see for the tongue tie? Doctor, dentist, IBCLC? The same person who diagnosed the tt also is giving you the breastfeeding management advice (pump, do not nurse)? Or two different people? Why not have the tongue tie treated right away?

Are you nursing baby again yet? if not, call the IBCLC back and tell her that not nursing has led to plugged ducts. This is going down a bad road. Pumping can injure nipples too-if pumping is hurting you as well and not emptying the breast enough to prevent plugs, then the recommended intervention is causing additional issues and the situation needs to be reassessed. You may need a different pump, different sized flanges...are you pumping on a low enough setting? What about hand expression? Was latch worked on at all at the appointment?

How long do I have to get it unclogged before it turned into mastitis?
    Well, there is no reliable answer to this. You may never get mastitis, or you could get mastitis but it has nothing to do with the plug. Even if you get mastitis, it is important to keep 'emptying' the breast one way or another, get antibiotics if needed, and breastfeeding continues. So I suggest, don't view this as a race against time. Just work to get the plug out. Do you know how to do this? Also Take mastitis prevention techniques which basically means, get milk out of the breasts very frequently somehow, and rest.

plugs http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

mastitis http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

hand expression http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 20th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

Had to give her formula because I cant pump enough. Only 1/2 oz out of one and 3/4 every 2 hours.
    so, an ounce and a quarter each time you pump, or 3/4 ounce?

normal feeds at the breast would be about 1/2 ounce to 2 ounces each.

Who did you see for the tongue tie? Doctor, dentist, IBCLC? - Our local hospital has a lactation department and that's who I see. I seen 2 people, a lc and a np. The nurse practitioner does all the tongue ties at the practice.

The same person who diagnosed the tt also is giving you the breastfeeding management advice (pump, do not nurse)? Or two different people? One noticed it but cant clip and the other was the one who recommended nipple rest.

Why not have the tongue tie treated right away? - she thought it was so small that it may not fix the problem.

I have done almost 24 hour rest and they feel much better but still have like almost gooie scabs on the tips. I nursed one time on the side that is not draining well and will nurse her from now on. They are not as tender and hope I don't need to distract myself in order to bear the pain. And I had her naturally with no meds so I know what pain is.

I pump at a low- med. level with a freestyle. but its not effective enough. I took a hot shower and she nursed and I pumped so it feels better but fills up hard but I can only get 1/2oz in 2-3 hours. She wants 2 oz to satify her but I only like like 1.25oz.

Going to get her to the breast and practice some of the new tips I got from the np. Had the best feeling latch with her by using a stool and propping the baby butt up so its not dragging down.

Its just that she roots no matter what because she likes to nurse and must get the bottle down to quick. I also gave her 3 oz formula at night when she was upset and I didn't pump yet and she has not pooped big yet. Hope she gets the show on the road because she was farting a lot TMI lol

Thanks for reading this. Its so hard what you want things to go right and they don't.