Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 29 hours old and nipples are cracking and so very sore

Default 29 hours old and nipples are cracking and so very sore

Could it be from the just that its fresh or shallow latch? Its so painful. She wanted to nurse from. Like 4-10 and I was half asleep so I bet that damaged my nipples. When she latches she has a very strong latch. Any advice or help?

Default Re: 29 hours old and nipples are cracking and so very sore

It probably is from a shallow latch but you want to be as proactive in fixing it as you can...even a newborn can latch pretty well in most cases,
    but some may need help doing so, others do best if mom lets baby more or less self latch.
    What positions have you tried? Often mom in a laid back position helps baby latch better and more comfortably, other times football might help you really see what baby is doing to ensure a deeper latch. Have you tried shaping the breast (nipple sandwich?)

Are you using a good nipple cream?

Tips with pictures on latch and different positioning ideas (includes side lying) http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

Laid back position http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

Laid back video http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Here are two simple pictorials, you want the one on latch. Notice that the mother is in a “slightly” laid back position, looks like on a couch? This is a very “adjustable” position, play around to find how you and your baby are most comfortable. http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html

latch and 'Breast sandwich' article http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvfebmar04p3.html (probably only needed if baby cannot latch or latch is hurting mom)

Thanks for the quick reply. She has been so eager to nurse and it was not painful until this afternoon and its burning with every gulp. Going to try laying back and I do use cream. I was doing the sandwich and the latch looks good but obviousl its not. Its just so painful and hard to relax.

Yes I know how nursing can seem fine at first and suddenly go downhill-that happened with my last baby. By the middle of her second day I was in agony. All turned out ok, with help.

There may be something else going on but my first guess is always a latch issue esp with brand new babies. Is there anyone local you can see? IBCLC or LLL or someone? Having another pair of experienced eyes to watch a nursing session is usually very helpful. And if you can, have baby checked for tongue tie by someone who knows about tongue tie and breastfeeding just to rule that out.

When latch is not great there is always the possibility baby is not able to transfer milk well, so I suggest, watch baby's poops and weight loss/gain carefully as well.

It may not help at all and there certainly are drawbacks, but a nipple shield may provide some relief until you figure this out. Just something to think about.

When baby comes off the breast, what does the nipple look like? Is it symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or asymmetrical/creased/pinched/wedged/ridged/shaped like a new lipstick?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She seems to be transferring milk. She sucks and swallows quiet a bit. With me first she didn't transfer much. She has been peeing 4 diapers first day but wanted to nurse all night. I was laying down or reclining. She looked like it was a good latch. Had a food amount of areola in her mouth. Going to make an appty tomorrow for a lc at our local hospital.

Not sure about tongue but will get it looked at. The nipple is a bit lipstick shaped but only slightly. And not all the time.

Could it be thrush? This early? My nipples are pink
    thanks

Thrush is possible of course but not likely, imo. but sore nipples from a bad latch are often going to be red, pink, swollen etc. It is very hard to diagnose thrush. Talk to the lc about it.

Any poops yet?

Slightly lipstick-shaped nipples sounds like a latch issue to me. But I agree with LLLMeg that it can be very hard to tell the difference between thrush and latch issues when you're not looking at textbook symptoms! So please do talk to the LC and let us know what she thinks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well I used a nipple shield yesterday and it helped a bit with the pain but she cant transfer anything with it. Only had one wet diaper. And didn't swallow much. Tried without it today and she was swallowing some and I noticed my breasted feel like they are fuller but not engorged. Left a message to be seen today and I hope they can see me