Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possible thrush?!

Default Possible thrush?!

I think I may have nipple thrush, my ds is 16 days old now. My nipple look pinkish and I have a slight burning sensation on my nipples and areola. Baby has no signs in his mouth though. How can I take care of this quick before it gets bad? I'd like to do the most natural treatment I can so I'm thinking probiotics for me and vinegar rinses on nipples.

Dh just gave ds a bath and it does look like he's getting a yeasty type rash he seems red like in the folds of his legs in the diaper area.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Possible thrush?!

Baby doesn't need to have signs of thrush for it to be present! But he does need treatment or you'll just pass it back and forth. A probiotic is a good place to start - you can also give your LO some of the powder from a probiotic capsule, or you can order baby probiotics online. My DD had a diaper rash for weeks that didn't go away with any cream treatment until I started taking probiotics!
    Definitely check out Dr. Newman's thrush protocol http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP and Dr. Jay Gordon's http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html
    They're pretty similar, but Dr. Gordon has some good stuff about using diluted grapefruit seed extract to swab the baby's mouth. You can find Grapefruit seed extract usually at health stores.

Also make sure that any towels, nipples/soothers, bras, etc. (anything that comes into contact with your milk or his mouth, really) gets washed with hot water and vinegar. Good luck!

Thanks for the info I'm still trying to decide if its thrush or not, I have no pain while nursing, is that normal??

Pain-free nursing is totally normal. If you have pain-free nursing and then pain after nursing finishes, that's suggestive of something infectious (thrush, bacteria).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Should I just go straight to GV as a treatment option? I hear the creams never really work and women have to end up using the GV anyways. Just trying to save some money and agony. I've been doing vinager rinses, motherlove thrush cream, lots of airing out, changing pads, and washing on hot with vinager. I don't want to battle this for months honestly.

Is the GV safe for a 17 day old baby?

I had fairly severe thrush/yeast for over a year off and on with my first and ended up trying gentian violet, which helped a bit, and changing my diet to completely avoid ALL forms of sugar, even fruit, which was very hard since I needed calories, but the diet change, plus getting more rest, was the only thing that really worked.

This time a very smart friend suggested baking soda. She said a change of ph can be either way, but baking soda is gentler than vinegar. I brush my teeth with it, gargle with it and drink about a quarter ts each day, when my stomach is empty-ish. I also rinse my breasts with cool water often and dry them and dust bs on them. My baby is only 3 weeks old, but I started having signs of nipple yeast before he was born, and it seems like the bs is working. I do avoid sugar and fruit and moldy foods, too

wanted to add to my last post...

a pediatrician I respect told me that drinking tons of chamomile tea will help, and I think it does. He also said yeast is from stagnation (he's an md but also studied chinese med & homeopathy) and that drinking warm water and sitting on the toilet 3x a day helps. I believe getting out for a walk helps me a lot. I used to be so athletic! newborns can really stagnate a body.