Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased solids intake!

Default Decreased solids intake!

Hey mamas!

So my almost 13 mo now refuses to eat real food - she used to eat pretty much anything, vegetables, beef, chicken... Puréed and just table food. Now she refuses and just eats snacks, like Cheerios or those little dried fruit and vegetable snacks from gerber, or cheese crackers

Her molars are coming in, but I think if she was really in pain she wouldn't eat anything at all... I'm just concerned that she's not really getting good nutrients in her. We nurse on demand on weekends and nights and I'm pumping just once a day at work, so she gets a bottle a day, but my mom who's taking care of her, is struggling to get her to eat...

Not sure eat to do

Default Re: Decreased solids intake!

yeah, all sounds pretty normal! i don't think there's anything to worry about. just keep nursing on demand, and offering a variety of healthy foods, and she'll pick back up soon. you might try things to sooth the molars - those suckers HURT - like tylenol, frozen fruits, rubber chews.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

In the book My Child Won't Eat, a book I highly recommend, the author talks about how appetite naturally DECREASES at around a year old.

Hi! I am right there with you! My DD is 14 months and her solids intake has definitely changed as well vs. 2 months ago. Her molars are coming in too, our poor babies! She will eat pretty much any meat we put in front of her and any bread but the veggies and fruit get dropped off the side of the high chair most of the time. We still nurse on demand and she drinks whole grass-fed cow's milk and water when I am at work. We make her smoothies with frozen fruit (and some veggies hidden in there too sometimes) and she really likes those. I think it feels good on those swollen gums. We still offer a variety of foods at each meal even if I think she is going to send it to the floor. Like PPs said, she'll eat it again at some point! I am so glad that we are still breastfeeding as I know she is getting great nutrition from that at least.

Thanks y'all!
    I may need to try the smoothies... How do you offer those? In the sippy cup? Do you make those with yogurt/milk?

Yeah... I started weaning but that hasn't worked too good, I guess I picked a wrong time
    It doesn't bother me though, as etoile said, I am glad that at least she's getting some nutrients thru BM.

we did smoothies with yogurt, and started out dripping from the bottom of a straw into baby's mouth (maybbe 9 months?) then eventually he figured out how to suck from the bottom of the straw, then i showed him how to suck from the top of the straw. that transitioned pretty seamlessly into using a straw sippy for water.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

You might pull back on the snacks and not make them an option. Since you're still nursing you don't need to worry about 'but she has to eat something'. Only offer healthy foods and she'll either eat them or not, but she'll stop learning that not eating them results in getting snacks.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Only offer healthy foods and she'll either eat them or not, but she'll stop learning that not eating them results in getting snacks
    I never thought I was teaching bad habits already!! Thanks for pulling my ears

We do try to offer "healthy" snacks (yogurt, fruit) before we offer anything else. Cheerios aren't that bad, are they? I need to finish the box before I move onto the organic brand... after reading a lot of articles about GMOs and all those weird chemicals they use in all the products we eat, I was like "eek! I need to buy a farm!" but our option is organic for now!

Thanks!

We offer smoothies in a straw or valveless sippy. We add yogurt but not everytime. My husband makes them for DD more often than I do. He takes care of her while I am at work and He likes that it is something easy to make for her in the morning.