Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medication Help Please

Question Medication Help Please

Okay mamas I need some advice. I posted before about the stones in my salivary glands. I had my cat scan today and have a few options going foward but I have a pretty bad infection and need to take strong antibiotics.
    I will be taking Clyndomicin and Flagyl. Both have been cleared by my pediatrician and I am will take a probiotic for my stomach and Eloise's and to help prevent thrush. My concern is that this will be her 3rd and 4th antibiotics she is being exposed to. I have to take the Flagyl to help prevent c-dif. as I have already had it about a year and a half ago and there is concern of recurrence.
    So my question/options - I already took Keflex(I think that is the name) and Augmentin while breast feeding. Eloise is 15 weeks and has been EBF since 5 weeks. Is this giong to be too much for her system or should I be concerned about how much exposure she will have to antibiotics at such a young age.
    I have some milk frozen so I have some options.
    1. I can completely pump and dump and give her the freezer stash. This may require some formula supplementation as I do not have that much stash from after I stopped eating dairy and it is still not 100% clear if she has an allergy.
    2. I can keep going as I have been. Breast feeding on demand when I am with her and pumping when I am not. (about 50/50 breast and bottle) and using what I pump.
    3.I can bf when i am with her and pump and dump when I am not. This way I should have enough in the freezer for day care and she will still be able to nurse. My thought is that this will limit her exposure somewhat and I probably wont need to use formula.

Once the infection is clear I will have to have surgery either to remove the stone or the gland. That will require general anesthesia and, if the gland has to be removed, a night in the hospital. I plan on renting a hospital grade pump and if I am not able to pump while recovering (sleeping, pain, etc.) I will have my mom or husband do it for me. I know there will be about 48 hrs of no nursing and pump and dump for the surgery and I need to make sure I have enough breastmilk in my stash for that as well. I will probably not have time to build back up a stash between the antibiotics and surgery and it will need to be done before another infection can develop

I am not too concerned about the safety of the meds for Eloise-just some opinions, similar experiences, general thoughts from other moms.

Default Re: Medication Help Please

I think the amount of antibiotics that transfer in your milk is low compared to the amount they would prescribe for your child, but Infantrisk would know. They are really good about helping you make a nuanced decision.

Yes I suggest contacting infantrisk. you can find the phone number here www.infantrisk.com Remember that when anyone takes any medication, the cons of taking the med must be weighed against the consequences of not. In the case of a breastfeeding infant, the pros and cons of nursing at the breast and/or getting moms breastmilk even with some small medication exposure must be weighed against the cons of formula and/or bottle feedings.

In a case where there is stored expressed mothers milk for baby, there are still potential consequences. presumably due to your work scedual, your baby is already 50% bottle fed? Going 100% to bottles even for a short time may cause breastfeeding issues that will lead to a shorter duration of breastfeeding, which has health consequences for mother and baby. Plus round the clock pumping may also prove to be too difficult esp. when you are ill.

I know there will be about 48 hrs of no nursing and pump and dump for the surgery and I need to make sure I have enough breastmilk in my stash for that as well.
    This is incorrect. In almost all cases, as soon as the anesthesized mother is awake enough to safely hold her baby she can nurse her baby post general surgery.

Here is the AAP on the subject of hospitalization; 'Should hospitalization of the breastfeeding mother or infant be neccesary, every effort should be made to maintain breastfeeding; preferably directly, or by pumping the breasts and feeding expressed breastmilk, if neccesary.'

'preferably directly'! That means, baby in the hospital with mom, nursing!

You are getting some funky reccomendations if someone is telling you your baby cannot have your milk post surgery. This is plain wrong.

Is there an IBCLC in the maternity dept. at the hospital you are going into? I suggest contacting her.

quick general info on meds and breastfeeding http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...tionsandbf.pdf

InfantRisk. Call them. (806) 352-2519.

Ask them about both the antibiotics and the anesthesia. If you can give them details about which medications and dosages, they'll be able to give you more specific information.

I suspect that what they tell you will be very reassuring.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thank you for the quick replies. I have called infant risk a few times today and cannot get an answer.
    @lllmeg-that was the advice from the ENT-not my pediatrician. I have not spoken to them yet.
    I am just worried about the antibiotics and was hoping to get some advice since I cannot get a hold of anyone at infantrisk.

Mama, I know it can be really tough to worry about what is coming through your milk, be it an antibiotic or BPA or lead or whatever. But I really don't think you need to worry too much. As TimsMom said, the amount that comes through in your milk is going to be small compared to what your baby would get if she were to be prescribed either of those drugs. And being a breastfed baby- to me that's totally worth some low level of exposure to antibiotics, especially when you think of how saturated our environment is with them. I often wonder if anyone has ever tested formula for antibiotics, since most formula is derived from cow's milk and antibiotics are frequently used on dairy cattle. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, is my way of thinking.

Keep calling Infant Risk, though! Hopefully someone will get back to you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Huh! Sorry you could not get an answer at infant risk! You'll have to wait to monday to try again...they are open central time m-f is my understanding.

Anyway, the information you need is in the book "Medications and Mothers Milk" by Thomas Hale. If you can contact a local IBCLC or LLL Leader over the weekend they may have the book (I have it but not the most recent edition, but certianly if you like, PM me and we can try to arrange to chat.) Your pediatrician and really, any doctor who ever prescribes medication to breastfeeding mothers SHOULD have it, but probably, do not.

In the book Hale rates most meds for safety when nursing based on available evidence. It gets tricky when you are talking "how much exposure to these three or four different antibiotics in this amount of time is ok" because I doubt it is anything that is ever studied. But what info Hale has will at least let you know what the ratings for each one is.

What I was trying to suggest is the risk of NOT nursing a baby, even temporarily, is so high, that has to be considered when assessing risk. Antibiotics are prescribed (and unfortunately, overprescribed) all the time, so I am sure that is is quite common for breastfeeding mothers and even babies themselves to be exposed to multiple antibiotic courses.

I had three babies via c-section, and of course any surgery comes with massive doses of anti-biotics. With my last baby, I also had mastitis a couple of weeks in. And I never even considered not nursing my newborns, (nor is any c-section mom told she should not nurse due to antibiotics.) Nor did I worry about if what I was prescribed for the mastitis was a different antibiotic, which it probably was.

Thank you all so much. I got a hold of someone at infant risk Friday after my last post. They were extremely helpful and I feel much better about nursing while I try to get my health issues worked out.
    @lllmeg. Thank you for your explanations. I had Ellie via csection as well and you are right-it never occurred to me then to not bf. I think with the health issues I am having and being back to work everything just seems a bit more stressful and urgent. It is hard for me to take a step back and really think things through when all I really want to do is snuggle up with Ellie!
    Thanks again ladies.

I am so sorry for the stress. Sick mommy is just not fair! Hope you feel better soon. Baby snuggles are good medicine.