Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is this pain?

Default What is this pain?

So I started two days ago with pain nursing on the left side. It feels like she's trying to pull glass through my nipple instead of milk! It is getting worse instead of better and through the night I couldn't sleep while she nursed on that side. I don't feel any lumps (like clogged ducts) and I don't see any cracks or redness. I looked in her mouth for white spots thinking maybe yeast, but no. There is also an aching in my whole breast this morning even when she's not nursing. Ideas? Thoughts on easing the pain? I don't know how long I can nurse like this. TIA!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: What is this pain?

It being on one side makes thrush less likely, but the sudden onset sounds like thrush. baby can be asymptomatic.

But there are other things that cause later onset nipple pain. IS baby teething? Was there a bite or severe clampdown or any nipple trauma? Does the nipple hurt and/or turn white or purple after nursing, is there pain after nursing?
    Any visible changes to your nipples or breasts at all?

The aching sounds more like mastits... Any redness on the breast or general body aches? Are you feeling particularly full or engorged ever?
    I have heard that nipple pain description-like broken glass-before. But I cannot place it. Anyone?

For easing the pain, you can consider taking an otc analgesia. Let baby nurse on the non painful side first, at least until milk ejects, or hand express prior to nursing until milk ejects (Babies tend to nurse less vigorously once letdown occurs.) If you simply cannot bear to nurse on that side at all, be sure to pump or hand express frequently.

Pay close attention to latch and make sure baby is latching well. even if latch is not the problem, the better the latch is, the les nipple trauma should occur.

Consider getting in person breastfeeding help if this does not improve very soon.

Thanks for the reply. I would've written back sooner but I've had trouble with my login.
    LO is teething. No trauma though, I don't think. I keep waiting for fever and body aches b/c this feels like what I've read about mastitis. I don't feel good but I think it's just a down day and not sickness.
    I have noticed some bumps under my nipple and moving her so that her tongue doesn't scrape the bumps has helped some. But the aching is still there. I'm not sure what to do. The pain is nearly unbearable. I guess we'll see how we do through tonight and think about getting help tomorrow although I'm not quite sure where to go....
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

I have noticed some bumps under my nipple
    THAT sounds like blebs possibly. blebs (aka milk blister) are like small plugs on/in the nipple. And yeah, they can seriously hurt. Plus, like any plug, they may lead to mastitis. But since they are close to the skin surface, the various 'treatments' for blebs is slightly different than a plug deeper in the breast.

plugs and blebs http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf
    mastitis http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

blebs longer article http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/