Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids and the working mama's schedule!

Default Solids and the working mama's schedule!

I am just curious what any BTDT working moms have done with respect to solids while away from baby at work.

My daughter is 7 months old, and we are doing BLS. She nurses approximately every 45 minutes or so when I am home with her and she is awake. Right now, I am offering solids at dinner only during the work week. She nurses right before solids, and right after she finishes. I mostly let her eat what she wants solids-wise, but with certain foods, like our homemade guacamole and steamed broccoli, she will eat and eat and eat and eat, so I do sort of hold her back a little with those!

Anyway, she really enjoys solids. I am trying to decide when would be good to start leaving "lunch" for her. I do not at all want to encourage her to wean, but I am sort of thinking about a potential 9 month pump slump, and whether or not it might help to maybe have a solid meal while I am at work to cover any minor shortfalls. I know nothing guarantees I will slump then, but I am a fairly low-average pumper. She drinks 12 oz every day, and I pump anywhere from 10-12 oz at work. If I start adding a little lunch, maybe she will get by on 10 oz if that becomes necessary? I nurse on demand at home and cosleep/nurse all night.

Either way, if my pumping stays the same, she does seem to want to taste things during other mealtimes now. Any thoughts? Thanks, everyone!

Default Re: Solids and the working mama's schedule!

I don't think it would hurt anything to leave something for her to eat at lunchtime. Since it's so easy to measure her breastmilk intake during the day, you would very quickly notice if she was replacing too much milk with solids. And even if she did decrease her milk intake, she's nursing frequently enough when you are home that I wouldn't even worry about it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

my little one stays home with my husband and around 7-8 months, we started trying to do 2 meals. We also do BLS and some were meals were better recieved than others. My little one loves roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli and squash -- she can really chow down on those. My husband will often roast a sweet potato and a squash twice a week and feed her these mixed with her other fruits and veggies. Now she loves smashed blueberries (a great workout for her pincher grasp!)

We just got to 3 meals, I think at about 10 months, and she did slow down her milk consumption. I used to leave 4.5 oz bottles, but she was not finishing them, so we have decreased gradually to 3.5 or 3 oz bottles. She seems to take 9-10 ounces now (at 11 months) and still nurses about 4-5 times a day.
    First time mom to K 7/12/12, happily ; hoping to stop in the next few months!

Okay, I will probably start leaving her a little something next week, then, and see how it goes. Thanks, guys!