Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with bottle feeding!

Default Re: Help with bottle feeding!

Thanks djsmom!!!

Oh I don't expect any sstn business. Haha! My older one didn't until he weaned and I was fine with that. I look back and think that all that night nursing helped my supply and allowed me to nurse him until he was 1.5 years old.

Forgot to ask again... So you still pump while away, right? Otherwise supply could tank?

I would still pump while baby is under a year. Even if you start out with a reverse cycler, baby may change its mind and start taking milk while you are gone. Definitely better to pump for maintaining supply, and probably necessary for your comfort while gone, especially if it is a full 8 hour working day.

Yes I would suggest definitely plan to pump. I suppose if you had a TRUE reverse cycler who ate nothing the entire separation and got all the breastmilk they needed daily from nursing when you were home, a mom could not pump at all and still maintain adequate production. BUT any long periods of no milk removal (day or night) will reduce milk production. And certainly, at least at first, you would get quite uncomfortable at work if you were not regularly removing milk. Might as well get in the habit of pumping at work and adjust frequency of pumping as needed down the road.

Along the "never say never" line my EBF baby is just about six months old. Weighed 17.9lbs at his five month visit (so he's getting more than enough) and has slept through the night since he was 8 weeks old. I've always fed on demand, I don't believe in sleep training or CIO or anything else like that- but only a crazy person wakes up a healthy, full term, sleeping baby in the middle of the night

I went back to work when he was 7 weeks, I found that the only bottels he would take were playtex drop ins. When we started I tried to nurse for a few min, to take the edge off being hungry and then Daddy went for the bottle. I also had Daddy give the bottle with out his shirt on. I'm not sure if it helped, or if my little chub just loves food, but he goes back and forth now with no issues.

Yes, my baby also sleeps really well.

So, it's been a little while since I posted and nothing has really changed except she drank 4 oz from a nanny helper while I was here working. My baby only takes the bottle in her home & when I am here! I honestly cannot understand how other babies don't eat throughout the day. This would mean that she would have to be
    miserable for the whole day & then finally get to eat. Doesn't sound like a good plan for me. Anyhow, we are going to continue working on it. I am also going to try
    the cup soon.

Are you miserable while you aren't eating for the 12hours from after dinner and when you sleep? No. It's all about what you take in in a 24 hour period. It doesn't matter when. And it matter much less for infants because their bodies have not been conditioned for years to eat at certain times. If you baby chooses to wait for you and is still gaining it's not a problem. I mean yes continue to work on it...but don't assume that your baby is miserable because she eating at different points in a 24hour period than you or I would.

Way too lazy for formula